Trailer hitch question???

I got one from a chevy astro van. they're the frame width, but the mounts are longer. So I am just cutting the mounts shorter and cutting off a few brackets then mounting it up on mine where my bumper brackets are mounted, and then welding my bumper brackets so they bolt through the sides instead of the bottom of the frame rail.

Will a trailer hitch from a Cherokee fit on a Comanche without making any modifications? I was looking for a used hitch and around here they are hard to find for Comanche, but not for the Cherokee.

No.

I believe that the one from Hidden Hitch is for a LWB.

The one that Drawtite advertises is for SWB or LWB, but requires a factory type step bumper, because you put a pin or bolt or something through the step into the top of the receiver.

i believe Resse (IIRC) makes one. id have to check again once i get out to my grandparents house. he has one still in the box and i believe i lined it up and it would work, the ones for the ford escapes.

Alex

I don't think there's any difference between the LWB and SWB for hitch mount. I have a hitch on my SWB '87 that I bought used, and I believe (I'm not certain) the seller told me it had been on a LWB. Doesn't make sense they would be different -- they use the factory bumper bracket mounting holes, and the factory didn't have different mounts for the LWB and SWB bumbers.

I don't think there's any difference between the LWB and SWB for hitch mount. I have a hitch on my SWB '87 that I bought used, and I believe (I'm not certain) the seller told me it had been on a LWB. Doesn't make sense they would be different -- they use the factory bumper bracket mounting holes, and the factory didn't have different mounts for the LWB and SWB bumbers.

Yeah, I would think so.

I'm in the market for one for my SWB, and noticed that the hidden hitch says for LWB only, but nothing about the factory step bumper. The Drawtite one though, says LWB or SWB, but requires the factory step bumper. :dunno:

Only 1 way to find out, I guess.

I have to differ on the longbed and shortbed being the same in respect to the bumper mounts. The bolt pattern is exactly the same but a bumper mount (or a hitch?) from a LWB will have to lose a little from the far end of the upper surface and be notched to clear the spring shackle bolt if it is put on a SWB. You also have to shim the mounts as the shackle hangers add a little overall width where the bracket bolts up. Not hard to make it work though.

One more thing- on our '89 SWB the holes where the step bumper bolts up to were not threaded. The bosses were welded to the inner surfaces and the right sized holes were there but no threads. Still no biggy to rectify.

check ebay!!!! I saw like 3 different models on there. I got one off of it. It was a husky class IV with 10k total weight and 1k tounge. Don't think I'll ever haul something that heavy but it sure makes a good bracket for pullin trucks out of the mud. :D

I recently installed a Draw-Tite 75021 on my 89 short bed. It does need a straight step bumper for it to work. It took a little bit of persuasion to get it to fit when I installed mine.

Check out the link below. They have a .99 shipping deal right now.

http://www.etrailer.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=E&Product_Code=75021

Pat

89 MJ

4.7 L Stroker

I have to differ on the longbed and shortbed being the same in respect to the bumper mounts. The bolt pattern is exactly the same but a bumper mount (or a hitch?) from a LWB will have to lose a little from the far end of the upper surface and be notched to clear the spring shackle bolt if it is put on a SWB. You also have to shim the mounts as the shackle hangers add a little overall width where the bracket bolts up. Not hard to make it work though.

One more thing- on our '89 SWB the holes where the step bumper bolts up to were not threaded. The bosses were welded to the inner surfaces and the right sized holes were there but no threads. Still no biggy to rectify.

X2 on that. I'm running Pong's old bumper on my MJ now, and Pat scratch-built it, reusing the factory bumper brackets....but his is (err, I mean "was") a longbed and mine's a shortbed. I found out real quick the difference (bolt holes are identical but that was it). Problem solved via the sawzall, by trimming off the ends of the framerails, chopping the splashpan and spare tire mount out, and notching Pat's bumper a tad on the tops of the brackets. I chose cutting the MJ down versus chopping Pat's bumper up ;)

Jeff