Egr Delete?

anyone on here ever bypassed their EGR? i know it could possibly make my cylinders run a little hotter, but anyone know if it'd be significantly higher? pros? cons?
Ive got an '88 with a 2.5L tbi, and...well...funny story actually. i swapped in a 4wd ax-5 to replace my 2wd ax-4 and in doing so, i forgot to route my exhaust ABOVE the trans crossmember. (exhaust was unbolted at the cat) so instead of dropping the trans again, i decided to unbolt the exhaust from the manifold and re-route it that way. well...it is a jeep...so the first bolt snapped, and the second one rounded off before also snapping. in other words...'twas time to see what my lil four banger looks like without manifolds so i can get to these broken bolts. well my egr tube going from the exhaust manifold up through the intake and to the egr valve also broke. could just get a new one, but the end that bolts to the exhaust has a rounded off bolt that ill have to drill out, and the hole on the intake is completely stripped out. i think it was cross threaded. SO...for me to keep my egr...id have to buy a new tube, AND take my intake into a machine shop to have it reamed out, insert put in and rethreaded. or i was thinking of the simpler route and just deleting it completely since I'm thinking of getting a header. i would just put a steel plate over the hole on the intake manifold and for the time being (until i get a header), do the same to the exhaust

• 8 years later...

Greetings,

I read your post and have some of the same questions regarding performance/functional changes if the EGR system is deleted.

I have a 2.5L (1987).

Anyone else have experience with the results of such a modification?

Thanks.