Different Comanches?

USA if it said jeep co USA

i never saw that on my old engine, the previous owner blew the engine when she had the comanche so i dropped a 2.8 v6 tbi engine from a 93 GMC sonoma into my MJ and converted it to carb,

Redwolf

Given the lack of badges I would assume its just a base model. An X or XLS has an X/XLS badge underneath the comanche badge on the front fender.

Don't let that be an indication for what it is. Mine is missing it's X badges and I can't find replacements anywhere. My last '86 was missing them as well but I eventually found some. Too bad I didn't yank them back off and keep them.

@Redwolf

The original engine is the same engine you dropped in basically. THE reason most around here won't touch an '86 MJ, a poorly made GM 2.8L V6. Most replace them with a GM 3.4L since they are the same block design as the 2.8L but better made and more powerful. Also because the 4.0L will not fit in an '86 without some firewall modification. For some idea of how bad the 2.8L is, the 4cyl 2.5L that was offered in '86 made the same hp and torque numbers basically and had better MPG.

Only reason my rig still has the 2.8L in it is because the PO had it and the tranny rebuilt 30k ago and stuck a lot of Holley and Edelbrock performance parts on the thing, including an EFI kit. Within the next year though probably, I'll be scrapping it all and swapping in a 4.0L or just scrapping the whole truck once I find one in better shape with a 4.0L.

Given the lack of badges I would assume its just a base model. An X or XLS has an X/XLS badge underneath the comanche badge on the front fender.

Don't let that be an indication for what it is. Mine is missing it's X badges and I can't find replacements anywhere. My last '86 was missing them as well but I eventually found some. Too bad I didn't yank them back off and keep them.

@Redwolf

The original engine is the same engine you dropped in basically. THE reason most around here won't touch an '86 MJ, a poorly made GM 2.8L V6. Most replace them with a GM 3.4L since they are the same block design as the 2.8L but better made and more powerful. Also because the 4.0L will not fit in an '86 without some firewall modification. For some idea of how bad the 2.8L is, the 4cyl 2.5L that was offered in '86 made the same hp and torque numbers basically and had better MPG.

Only reason my rig still has the 2.8L in it is because the PO had it and the tranny rebuilt 30k ago and stuck a lot of Holley and Edelbrock performance parts on the thing, including an EFI kit. Within the next year though probably, I'll be scrapping it all and swapping in a 4.0L or just scrapping the whole truck once I find one in better shape with a 4.0L.

yeah, my dad has a 2.5 in his wrangler, little bit better mileage than i get, but bein that my MJ came stock with the 2.8 i wanted to keep it that way, now don't get me wrong, my next gasoline MJ IS NOT gonna have a 2.8, i might find a way to drop a 4.3 if possible but my next gasoline MJ is gonna be my fun truck, kinda like the MJs that make MJOTM  :yes: or who knows, i might just keep the 2.8 or maybe even a 2.5 in the next MJ,

Redwolf

Gotta ask, whats up with that later style steering wheel? Think those look awful compared to the stock three spoke ones.

That is the earlier model steering wheel.  That came with all '86s to the best of my knowledge.  Mine's an '86 Custom and has that very wheel.  The 3-spoke sport wheel came later. 

Gotta ask, whats up with that later style steering wheel? Think those look awful compared to the stock three spoke ones.

That is the earlier model steering wheel.  That came with all '86s to the best of my knowledge.  Mine's an '86 Custom and has that very wheel.  The 3-spoke sport wheel came later. 

i've seen 86 2.1L MJs with the 3 spoked one with the bolt on look around the center, now i don't know if that's stock or added in, looks sweet though

Redwolf

Except for the fact that I have had two '86 X rigs and they both have had the three spoke wheel (check my build thread in my sig for my current '86 to see it in black even). I've also seen it on countless other '86 rigs around the club and the net. I've never seen that other one so I questioned. Since you both have '86 Customs (base model), maybe it was specific to that trim and the X/XLS got the three spoke then the one you guys have was dropped the next year or only used on the lowest trim. That's my speculation.

Except for the fact that I have had two '86 X rigs and they both have had the three spoke wheel (check my build thread in my sig for my current '86 to see it in black even). I've also seen it on countless other '86 rigs around the club and the net. I've never seen that other one so I questioned. Since you both have '86 Customs (base model), maybe it was specific to that trim and the X/XLS got the three spoke then the one you guys have was dropped the next year or only used on the lowest trim. That's my speculation.

don't know, all i know is it's what came with my MJ when i bought it, i know nothin bout MJs other than they look cool and i have one and they're hard to find and find parts for that are meant for em

Redwolf

Yup, that's cool. Hope I didn't come across rude, didn't mean to. These trucks just fascinate me and I'm always trying to learn more about them, even if that means trying to sort out the oddities that AMC did and trying to keep track of things when ownership switched over to Chrysler in '87.

You're right Alex.  I do believe that the base/customs only came with that steering wheel.  But, like you said, AMC just kind of put in whatever they felt like putting in.  I've seen some pre-'87 XJs with that wheel but I didn't really pay attention to the difference in trim levels.  Perhaps early '86s used the wheel in question and later '86s and so on used the 3-spoke? :dunno:

But anyway, you did not come off as rude, so no worries there.  I was merely speaking based on what I had observed but like you, I too am learning the vast differences with these Jeeps.  I think '87 is where AMC really started finessing their choices in what actually went into this trucks (maybe).  '86s seem to be all over the place.  You can't even get Jeep to pull up any detailed information about the '86s because records were poorly logged if at all.  I had my local dealer run the VIN and all they could tell me was that it was a 2WD Comanche with the 2.5 and a 4-speed (but it's actually 4WD).  Nothing about the trim, or specifically which 4-speed tranny, what gear ratios, etc.

My 89' Eliminator compared to the other models had: Aluminium wheels (and spare), Eagle GT 2 tires, two front fog lights with "Jeep" covers, the sport steering wheel, Eliminator decal and side stripe stickers, three part sliding back window. I think that was about it. It also has A/C and cruise control which is not common.

Yup, that's cool. Hope I didn't come across rude, didn't mean to. These trucks just fascinate me and I'm always trying to learn more about them, even if that means trying to sort out the oddities that AMC did and trying to keep track of things when ownership switched over to Chrysler in '87.

ya didn't come off rude, and i'm right there with ya tried to learn bout em, that's what i started this thread so i could learn the differences everyone has seen in each MJ and there packages like custom, x, xls, eliminator, pioneer, and chief, it's deffently a fascinatin truck, not somethin ya see too often either,

Redwolf

• 1 month later...

bringin this topic back to life but with a different question but bein that it deals with different comanches, why make a new thread....anyhow, my MJ when i bought it had no radio and speakers, that was the last thing i put in my truck; i was walkin there the junkyard the other day and found an MJ that had speakers in the back behind the bench seat, i took the brackets that was it, i haven't tried puttin em in my MJ yet do to the lack of speakers but do the speaker brackets go under the plastic trim, also, what different MJs had speakers in the back, MJ custom, x, pioneer, eliminator, etc?

Redwolf

I keep reading that ownership switched to Chrysler in 1987, but at least in practice that's not accurate. My 1988 Cherokee was a special order that I purchased new. The order was placed in the Fall of 1987, through an AMC dealer, to AMC. The XJ was delivered to me through an AMC dealer in late January of 1988, and every scrap of paper associated with it said AMC. There was no mention of Chrysler. Even the initial warranty issues were handled through ... you guessed it ... AMC. Nothing switched over to Chrysler until late in 1988 -- which is when things really went downhill.