Spider Gear Removal

well i toasted my spider gears today broke two teeth off and totaly locked up the back end. now i got to pull em out but i am having trouble pulling the axle shafts out. brake drums are on pretty good. to get the spider gears out there is a small hole is there like a pin or allen screw  i have to drive out ?

Correct, a drift is a punch.

Could you enlighten me as to what caused those teeth to break off? My axle is noisy, and I suspect some damage inside, but I'm not ready to tear into it yet. I want to keep driving, but certainly don't want to lock up the axle.

it was making some noise and i was excellerating out of a stop and bam/crunch and it locked up

Dang it! I was hoping that wasn't the case. Now i'm going to worry about mine because it is also making a noise. In 10 minutes I'm going 200 miles with her, and desolate desert area. The things I do to play golf...

I am with you on the golf..... My # 1 past time.  Play at least once a week. Desert course sounds fun.   Sorry to be off topic fellas... :cheers:

Dang it! I was hoping that wasn't the case. Now i'm going to worry about mine because it is also making a noise. In 10 minutes I'm going 200 miles with her, and desolate desert area. The things I do to play golf...

it was making some noise and i was excellerating out of a stop and bam/crunch and it locked up

haha it definitly was a suprise cuz i was going like 35 when it happened...

that would have sucked at 85 ! lol well i finished pulling all the spider gears turns out i broke 5 teeth clean off and messed up the pinion. almost finished installing the whole rear end out of my 86 cherokee. should be back on the road tomorrow !!!! . :MJ 1: .