Mzairboy's Comanche

I had the shop check when it was in for inspection. They didn't find anything loose. I will double check it again myself, just to make sure. Thanks for the heads up, that could've really helped me out!

Wait! If it sounds anything like a rod knock, check your flexplate-torque converter bolts first. There is an inspection cover at the front of the transmission. Under that is the engine's flexplate which is held to the torque converter by several bolts. These have a habit of backing out over the years and making a sound very much like a bottom end knock. Turn the engine by hand and tighten these, and you may just save yourself a lot of heartache. If you need pics, I can get some for you later today.

Beautiful truck, by the way.

Got "Baby Blue" back from the shop today. Once we finally figured out what front axle was on it, the parts were ordered and replaced quickly. The front axle is off a 97 XJ, so I know for future reference. I also replaced all the brake fluid to DOT5, added a new steering stabilizer, replaced the fuel filter, added a mandatory license plate light, and replaced a front brake line. The engine knock sound also went away.

Here is another photo, just because I love taking photos!

Image Not Found

Some updates.

- I was able to fix the passenger seatbelt. It turns out part of the belt was tangled in the seat frame underneath out of sight. All better now!

- The gas gauge kinda works. It doesn't accurately show fuel levels. Haven't run out of gas yet, but I've come close.

- Chrysler sent me a build sheet! You can read it below. All I did was send an email to Chrysler with my VIN number and request a build sheet. They sent me one a few days later.

Thank you for contacting the Jeep Customer Assistance Center.
We are pleased to provide vehicle build information per your request.  
According to our records, your vehicle was equipped from the factory
with the following:

VIN 1J7FT26L3KL402897 
Vehicle Description JEEP COMANCHE 
Model Year 1989 
Body Model MJ T L 62 
Color PB3- Intense Blue Pearl Coat 

Sales Code     Description
APAS Monotone Paint
BAYP 105 Amp Alternator
BGAS Power Front Disc/Rear Drum Brakes
BKPS 10x2.5 Rear Drum Brakes
CBAP Straight Back Bench Seat
CKA Carpets - Floor and Cargo Area
CSRS Passenger Assist Handles
DGB All 4-Speed Automatic Transmissions
DGSS 4-Speed Automatic AW4 Transmission
DHAS Lock-Up Torque Converter
DHTP Elec,Shift-on-the-Fly,P/Time T/Case
DMDS 3.55 Rear Axle Ratio
DRJS 175MM Rear Axle
EAAC All Engines
GACS Tinted Glass Windows
GBBS Tinted Windshield Glass
GCBS Front Door Tinted Glass
GEHS Fixed Door Vent Glass
GNAS Rear View Day/Night Mirror
GRZP Left Remote Mirror
GSZP Right Remote Control Mirror
GTZ Manual Remote Mirrors
HAA Air Conditioning
JAAS Instrument Panel
JAZS Analog Instrument Cluster
JBFS Instrument Panel Black Bezel
JCAS 85 MPH Primary Speedometer
JHA Var Intermittent Windshield Wipers
JJA Cigar Lighter
JKBS Inst Panel Mounted Hood Release
LAFS Key in Ign/Seat Belt Warning Buzzer
LBCS Glove Box Lamp
LMAS Halogen Headlamps
MBJA Black Front Bumper
MB1S Black Front Bumper
MDAP Front License Plate Bracket
MFFS Black Grille
MHBS Bright Windshield Moldings
MMCS Rear Qtr Solid Window Insert
MMGS Belt Moldings
NAAS Federal Emissions
NBKS EVAP Control System
NDAS Catalytic Converter
PB3 Intense Blue Pearl Coat
QB3S Intense Blue Pearl Coat
RAAC All Radio Equipped Vehicles
RAB AM/FM Radio
RCDP 4 Speakers
SBAA Power Rack and Pinion Steering
SCBS 2-Spoke Steering Wheel
SFAS Standard Duty Shock Absorbers
SGAS Rear Shock Absorbers
SUA Tilt Steering Column
TAAC All Tires
TBCS Compact Spare Tire
TBMS Tire Carrier Winch
TMW P215/75R15 OWL All Terrain Tires
WJD 15X7.0 Styled Steel Wheels
XBSS Pickup Box
XFAS -35F Protection Anti-Freeze
YAAS Build To U.S. Mkt. Specifications

Thanks again for your email.
Sincerely,
Samantha
Customer Service Representative
Jeep Customer Assistance Center

• 2 weeks later...

Today I did some real world testing. I figured out they are the perfect size for milkshakes, but not quite large enough for my phone, yet they snugly hold a bottle of water. I'll do some tweaking and get this welded up. Not having cup holders becomes annoying rather quickly.

I like that design!  Maybe round the corners and edges :dunno:

Disaster strikes! Ran to pick up some parts today during work. Drove about 20 min down the road and saw my water temp was up to about 210-230, depending on speed. On my way back to the shop I got stuck in traffic, and the water temp quickly rose to 230-250. Arrived back at the shop a few min later without issue, and the water temp was back down to 230 when I parked it. Went inside to grab some parts, and when I came out, radiator fluid was everywhere. It shot out the grill, out my fender wells, up my windshield somehow, and everywhere inside the engine bay. In short, the radiator hose blew apart, and I realized my electric fan is not working properly. The local shop will have a new hose for me tomorrow. Total repair cost is $15, not including new radiator fluid or fan.  

Image Not Found

Update:

Was running around using the Comanche as my daily driver. Still sorting out cooling issues, but I am getting help from different people on the forum, and I may be able to figure it out. See: http://comancheclub.com/topic/39558-electric-fan-and-cooling-issues/

Another issue I have is the gas gauge does not display correctly. I wanted to see how many miles I could put on before running out. My journey ended at a gas station in the middle of a severe storm with extreme rain and lightning. I managed to squeeze 22 gallons into my tank. I'm not sure how many gallons the tank actually holds, but I'm sure I was running on fumes, and I'm glad I made it to a gas station in time. I was able to get 259 miles out of the tank, with an 11 MPG average.

Other than that, I have some exciting things I want to do with it. I'll keep everyone posted.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm happier than a seagull with a french fry!

It was about lunch time when I was driving by the warehouse at work. Suddenly our warehouse guy burst out of the door running towards me waving his hands. He was so frantic in getting my attention I thought it was an emergency. Once I got over to him, he quickly explained that some sort of hand rails came in for the project at work I am in charge of. Some emergency, but anyways, I'm glad he notified me that parts came. I put it on the back burner, and did some other things that needed immediate attention. It was later on in the afternoon when I figured I better check out these railings that came in my name. This is what awaited me in the warehouse.

Image Not Found

He thought they were "built like a bull pen" and were the most overbuilt hand rails he has ever seen. I explained to him that these were Jeep parts. Had I known these had came in, I would've skipped lunch and tried to mount them up right then and there!

On the way home I went geocaching. Couldn't help but take another glance at them, so I thought I'd share the joy and snap a photo as well.

Image Not Found

That evening I put them on a floor jack to make sure they fit correctly before I powder coat them.

Image Not Found

That moment when your truck is lifted so high your floor jack alone is useless...

Image Not Found

Note the jack is missing a wheel, and is crooked, making the rocker guards appear crooked. In reality, they seem to line up great.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

They are manufactured by Nates 4x4. His customer service so far is great! He said that if there are any fitment issues whatsoever, I could ship them back for a full refund, including freight costs. I'll post a review later once they are installed. I don't plan on offroading the Comanche (that's what the wrangler is for) so these guards are for looks and to protect the dentless/rustless body from rouge shopping carts and careless door dings at the mall. However, they seem beefy and would probably hold up well to moderate abuse.

• 2 weeks later...

I attended my first car show. It was at our local fire station for their annual fireman's carnival. It was just for fun with no judging, but there were a variety of cars there anyways. A few people came over and were asking questions, surprised that it was a Jeep truck.

Image Not Found

Yeah, I'll just stick with my Jeep...

Image Not Found

This might fit under my hood...

Image Not Found

Yes, that is Lebanon Levi from the Amish Mafia. No one messes with my Jeep...

Image Not Found

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tragedy strikes! Got home from work on Friday and was walking away from my truck when I heard a pop, and the sound of something sizzling. Turns out a pinhole leak developed in one of my hoses. Didn't have any duct tape lying around, so I got some electrical tape and got things fixed up. This will hold me over until something else blows apart.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

• 4 weeks later...

This my friends, may very well be one of the last posts you will hear about this Comanche...I went and traded it for another Jeep. Another Jeep eh? Yes, an 88 J20. Its Jeep...Its a pickup...Its awesome!

In a few weeks I'll be rolling coal. Stay tuned for the whole story...

• 2 weeks later...

My dream for a diesel Comanche started last year at the PA All Breeds Jeep show. I saw a company that did Mercedes diesel swaps. I also saw an 88 J-20 at the Mount Zion Offroad booth. This truck was awesome, and made me look into a diesel swap. I contacted Mount Zion Offroad and they said they would be able to help me out with my project. Fast forward half a year. I took my Comanche out to Mount Zion Offroad for them to take a look at it to see what was involved in converting it to diesel. When I arrived, I saw the 88 J-20 sitting out front so I inquired about it. The truck was everything I wanted to do to my truck, but on steroids! It was well put together, had a solid frame and axels under it, and best of all, it had a Cummins turbo diesel under the hood! Short story made even shorter, I traded in my Comanche keys for an 88 J-20. I will start a topic about this truck elsewhere in the forums where it is more appropriate. If you want to track my Comanche, keep an eye out on Mount Zion Offroads website. It should be for sale in a few weeks. http://www.mountzionoffroad.com/rigsforsale.html

Here are some photos of the 88 J-20 and the 89 Jeep Comanche.

Image Not Found

• 1 year later...

I no longer own this Comanche, but I like to keep track of it. After selling it to Mount Zion Offroad, they did suspension upgrades, brand new tires, installed rockers, roof rack, and a high output engine swap! It is now for sale! They are asking $11,950, so I thought I would post it on here if a fellow Comanche owner is interested.

Image Not Found

k