My Herculined 90 Comanche

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

the guy who sold me the dana 300 was really cool. he called me up and gave me this tbi 305, 400 turbo transmission, 241c tcase, and all wiring for free. all i had was $5 so i gave it to him. might be a while until i get to use it but i plan on it. i kno the 350 is different so we will see where this goes. neveer knew that chevy had a driver drop t case...and when i got the tcase he let me have the BW five speed it was hooked to so i have a few options here lol. my front end should be done hopefully by this weekend. not near as hard as i thought it would be

Qes52lz.jpg

Oh, and yes that is a passenger drop u see. Its and IH d44 that matches the 60 rear. I'm pairing it to a Dana 300 t case. Eventually I still want to do a SBC. Just waiting on a good deal

If that is a Scout II axle, it has zero caster.  Keep that in mind if you will be keeping this a streetable truck.

how is the 350 different then a 305? other then displacement

not too sure. i havnt looked into it much but from what ive read so far there is a bit of a power difference. some ppl told me that some parts won't swap over from the 350 like the older engines. not 100 on that but when it comes time ill figure it out. i personally don't mind using this one to get the swap done

Oh, and yes that is a passenger drop u see. Its and IH d44 that matches the 60 rear. I'm pairing it to a Dana 300 t case. Eventually I still want to do a SBC. Just waiting on a good deal

If that is a Scout II axle, it has zero caster.  Keep that in mind if you will be keeping this a streetable truck.

yes i think this thing is going to shake like crazy. right now my perches are just tacked on. ill have to research the castor...unless someone can tell me now...i have 7.5 coils

i feel ya. red with decals was nice. but if u knew me ud see that this truck is me. it gets more attention ever since i bedlined it. its never too late but i like the texture. rough like my face

We may disagree on style but I'm happy that you're happy with it. :thumbsup:

place the axle level (the differential output shaft or spring perches are level) look at the inner C's.  They should have a "backwards" rake to them (Jeeps have about 4-5 degrees I think).  If they are straight up and down (zero caster), you may have some drivabilty issues.

Nice truck BTW.

place the axle level (the differential output shaft or spring perches are level) look at the inner C's.  They should have a "backwards" rake to them (Jeeps have about 4-5 degrees I think).  If they are straight up and down (zero caster), you may have some drivabilty issues.

Nice truck BTW.

hey thanks man. ill check that out tomorrow

here is where we're at as of today

X2pjjEG.jpg

might be a little hard to tell but my buddy did carry over the castor as close as he could from the stock axle

TXgnebS.jpg

this is the problem we ran in to. looks like we need to raise the driver side uca mount an inch or two. hopefully it won't hurt being further away from the lca mounts...bdBL0qp.jpg

here is where we're at as of today

X2pjjEG.jpg

might be a little hard to tell but my buddy did carry over the castor as close as he could from the stock axle

TXgnebS.jpg

this is the problem we ran in to. looks like we need to raise the driver side uca mount an inch or two. hopefully it won't hurt being further away from the lca mounts...bdBL0qp.jpg

am I wrong or do you have the mounts facing in opposite directions? top mount facing to front  and rear facing back

After researching the horsepower and torque of the 305 vs 4.0, I think I'm going to just get my head rebuilt and buy lower gears from the guy who gave me all this stuff. Looks like the 305 only has ~10 more HP and torque. Which is a bummer but at least I'll be driving the truck sooner. I'm going to find a 4wd aw4 for now. I'm going to sell the 305 and buy a 350. i bought an np203 from a friend for $50. The same guy rebuilds engines and said the 305 is different on the inside and can't be bored to 350

If your heart is set on going SBC on your Jeep, throw the 305 in there. Externally, it's the same as a 350, so you'll have all the mods done by the time you get the 350.

the thing is, if I put it in there, it will probably stay until it needs replaced. it will be 5-600 dollars for headers, mounts and oil filter adapter, plus all tune up parts. I think I will go that route but that might change tomorrow Lol. in the mean time I'm going to post the t cases I don't need on craigslist for money toward the swap. I may even sell the 4.0 as is running but cracked or warped head(I think)

got my new track bar. clayton cut-to-fit 6-8". not what i ordered and customer service sucked(not through clayton) but atleast they hooked me up with a quality product..

lmElNqd.jpg

i beleive this is a 2" drop bracket. this might be my favorite part about the kit

WNWBT8u.jpg