Im such a noob

it isn't adjustable (at least, in the traditional sense) The hold down clamp secures the distributor shaft in a fixed position, and the ECU adjusts/retards spark based on various sensor inputs.

What's leading you down this road? Give us some symptoms and we can help you troubleshoot possible causes.

Jeff

Timing a 4.0L?

As stated above, it's self-adjusting & you shouldn't have to bugger with it.

The only way to really mess with the timing is to move the Distributor forward or backward a tooth. The stock Metal gears & chain should be good, never saw any go bad.

2.5Ls, on the other hand, have the plastic chain tensioner that wears out.

This link my proove helpful to you:

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Eng ... ostics.htm

There is nothing to do as far as timing adjustments go. Unless someone has had the the distributor out of the engine and moved it a tooth there should be know issue. Even when I screwed up the timing chain install and had one link too many between the marks the truck still started and ran it just seemed down on power in the lower rpm band, I even pulled a trailer loaded down with my brother's furniture to college and all I noticed was that I couldn't maintain 65 uphill with the air on without shifting to 4th gear. I couldn't believe how well it ran though after my dad pulled it off and properly lined up the marks and the timing chain links. The 4.0 litre really is hard to kill no matter what you try to do to it.

You might have a misfire condition if your cap and or wires are in bad shape. Pop the cap off and see if there's moisture inside...if so, dry everything well (compressed air works well, then hose it all down with WD40 (the "WD" stands for "water displacement")

• 3 years later...
There is nothing to do as far as timing adjustments go. Unless someone has had the the Distributor Clamp out of the engine and moved it a tooth there should be know issue. Even when I screwed up the timing chain install and had one link too many between the marks the truck still started and ran it just seemed down on power in the lower rpm band, I even pulled a trailer loaded down with my brother's furniture to college and all I noticed was that I couldn't maintain 65 uphill with the air on without shifting to 4th gear. I couldn't believe how well it ran though after my dad pulled it off and properly lined up the marks and the timing chain links. The 4.0 litre really is hard to kill no matter what you try to do to it.

Thanks also for the information you have provided. I am gathering notes on timing and would like to add these to my notes.