Strange Power Steering Issue

Did you add washers to the spacer. You could have the gear box in a bind.

I bought the OR Fab inner bracket. It spaces the gearbox out. Funny story about that, my wife was helping me put it in and ended up dropping the thick arse metal bracket right onto my face while I was holding the steering box up...... I'm taking the  jeep out on another test run today see if its  gotten any better

Ok so my steering is till acting up even after replacing the hoses and what not. Yesterday I was driving and my steering locked up to the left and I almost ran thru a construction gate. I had to reverse to loosen up the steering agian to get it back home. I checked everything under and seems to be tight to me. On top of this my steering is crazy loose after the box swap. I looked into tightening the bolt with the allen wrench but any other suggestions would be great. The only way to discribe it is it feels like I'm constantly trying to keep my balance on the road. Correcting over correcting etc etc.

So you adjusted the worm gear on the steering box? That is a big no-no unless you know what you are doing, and being as it is a new box you would have no reason to adjust it as it is in spec from the factory. An adjusted worm gear way beyond spec can cause a whole host of issues including binding. Not good to adjust unless absolutely needed and even then it is a one shot deal. The loss of power steering could very well be due to air in the lines. Have you thoroughly burped the system for trapped air? As for the wandering, when you put the box in did you make sure you centered the box one and a half turns to center from full lock? If you are off the steering box is going to try and correct and recenter itself leaving you fighting to control it on the road. IIRC, the Durango box is a standard three full turns from full lock to full lock leaving you with a centered steering at one and a half. You would have to confirm this as its been a number of years since my Durango/Wagoneer box swap. Hope this was helpful. Let us know what you find out

RockMJ

So you adjusted the worm gear on the steering box? That is a big no-no unless you know what you are doing, and being as it is a new box you would have no reason to adjust it as it is in spec from the factory. An adjusted worm gear way beyond spec can cause a whole host of issues including binding. Not good to adjust unless absolutely needed and even then it is a one shot deal. The loss of power steering could very well be due to air in the lines. Have you thoroughly burped the system for trapped air? As for the wandering, when you put the box in did you make sure you centered the box one and a half turns to center from full lock? If you are off the steering box is going to try and correct and recenter itself leaving you fighting to control it on the road. IIRC, the Durango box is a standard three full turns from full lock to full lock leaving you with a centered steering at one and a half. You would have to confirm this as its been a number of years since my Durango/Wagoneer box swap. Hope this was helpful. Let us know what you find out

RockMJ

I havent touched the worm gear. I'm glad you said something because I planned on doing it today before work. I'll look into how to burp the system. When I installed it I just rotated the wheel lock to lock 40ish times. Did it when the vehicle was running so I think I'll try to jack the front end up and  repeat it with it shut off. I'll double check the steering box placement too. If it helps me stay in a lane or not smash into something a little  better  than I'll spend  the  extra  20 min double checking no prob. I'm not a fan of this durango upgrade at all. The lose in turning radius  isn't really worth the benefits especially when you drive it every day. I'll probably drop an XJ box into it  soon unless I can find something with a similar turn.

mvusse I'm not sure what steering setup he put in there before I bought it. The bar is thicker than I've seen. I'll see if I can find a pic.

Kind of an older pic but gives  a pretty good idea of the mess down there.

RockMJ

I havent touched the worm gear. I'm glad you said something because I planned on doing it today before work. I'll look into how to burp the system. When I installed it I just rotated the wheel lock to lock 40ish times. Did it when the vehicle was running so I think I'll try to jack the front end up and  repeat it with it shut off. I'll double check the steering box placement too. If it helps me stay in a lane or not smash into something a little  better  than I'll spend  the  extra  20 min double checking no prob. I'm not a fan of this durango upgrade at all. The lose in turning radius  isn't really worth the benefits especially when you drive it every day. I'll probably drop an XJ box into it  soon unless I can find something with a similar turn.

mvusse I'm not sure what steering setup he put in there before I bought it. The bar is thicker than I've seen. I'll see if I can find a pic.

Kind of an older pic but gives  a pretty good idea of the mess down there.

Yeah, it's a mess, alright. Not XJ, MJ, or ZJ steering. Some kind of cross-over steering, with a very Mickey Mouse looking bracket for the steering stabilizer.

One of your problems is that the pitman arm is lower than the frame end of the track bar. I'm guess you must have some serious bump steer.

Did you double check to make sure you have the correct amount of turns from lock to center? Thoroughly burp the system and check to make sure your pitman and steering are attached at at dead center and go from there. You mentioned a loss in turning radius? This does not seem correct, at all. When I did my box swap I had the exact same amount of turning side to side as before, it just turned the 35's much easier based on the gearing of the box. Drop the draglink off the pitman arm and make sure your box is centered first as I have a feeling it is probably off from you saying a loss in turning radius. Good luck

RockMJ

Have checked the stabilizer while turning lock to lock? from the picture it looks like it could possibly be binding your drag link. I've had a similar problem when i smashed one on a rock at was making my pump whine at low RPM's and hard to turn

Ok so I moved the stabilizer and it seemed it help. Yes my bump steer is pretty horrible. I ordered some JkS quicker releases hopefully it helps.

The durango boxes vary from either 3 turns lock to lock or 3.5. Just have to get lucky. I didn't get lucky lol. I centered it so I get even turns to both sides but there's a lot of room before my tires start rubbing so I'm on the search for a better box.

Amy suggestions for the pitman arm? Would love to tighten this steering up as much as possible. Not fun feeling like I'm going to get pulled over for a DUI all the time.

Ok so I moved the stabilizer and it seemed it help. Yes my bump steer is pretty horrible. I ordered some JkS quicker releases hopefully it helps.

The durango boxes vary from either 3 turns lock to lock or 3.5. Just have to get lucky. I didn't get lucky lol. I centered it so I get even turns to both sides but there's a lot of room before my tires start rubbing so I'm on the search for a better box.

Amy suggestions for the pitman arm? Would love to tighten this steering up as much as possible. Not fun feeling like I'm going to get pulled over for a DUI all the time.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/durango-steering-mod-402758/

Already read up on it. Was planning on giving it a shot until my steering locked up while I was driving. Now I'm a little worries to tinker with the guts of it. One thing doesn't go in right it could cause some issues.

So I put in some JKS quicker releases and holy crap what a difference from no sway bar. Its helped a lot. Still not great but I don't feel like I'm going to swerve into oncoming traffic anymore