What calipers will fit a 1989 Comanche? I'm redoing the whole brake system, and I've found a few ones online but the majority are remanufactured. I want Oem to better than oem brand new calipers. Do xj front brakes fit on Comanches?

Thanks,

Sam

If your not satisfied with your truck's braking, then upgrading to the later model brake booster will probably give you more improvement than the difference between remanufactured calipers vs OEM.  Check out the DIY threads.

Thanks for the replies! I'm replacing all brake parts with raybestos, hopefully it will all go smoothly! I figured while I was replacing brakes I should do the wheel bearings, any suggestions on what brands? I don't want cheap wheel bearings that will give up after a few thousand miles, so any suggestions? 

Thanks,

Sam

I found 88' Dana 35 rear axle wheel bearings at Quadratic & RockAuto, wound up buying SKS brand from RockAuto which are decent quality. Everything installed perfectly.

SKS BR9 Wheel Bearing (comes pre-packed and with spacer/collar)

SKS 16747 Seal

SKS 13671 Seal

If you are doing it yourself let me know, just did mine last weekend - not hard but having a press helps.

None of the rear d35 seals or bearings were available at the Autozone that I checked in Phoenix (which i thought was strange given the number of XJ's out there). I picked up the unit bearings for the front axle from Autozone tho, and they were USA Timken. Of course, had to pay them and pick up a few days later...

He has an 89 2WD so I assume he's referring to the one-piece hub/rotor wheel bearings. If this is so, you'll need 2/ea of inner bearings, outer bearings, and seals. Make sure the bearings come with the races and to replace them too. I like the national bearings and seals from O'Reillys.

Inner Bearings:  Part Number A6

Outer bearings:  Part Number: A2

Seals:  Part Number 6815

Thanks all, 

Thanks for the responses everyone!

He has an 89 2WD so I assume he's referring to the one-piece hub/rotor wheel bearings. If this is so, you'll need 2/ea of inner bearings, outer bearings, and seals. Make sure the bearings come with the races and to replace them too. I like the national bearings and seals from O'Reillys.

Inner Bearings:  Part Number A6

Outer bearings:  Part Number: A2

Seals:  Part Number 6815

Thanks Hornbrod, that is what I'm referring to. I'm relatively new to axle and brake work, so I'm using my Haynes service manual and CC as crutches while I learn. I have an O'Reillys nearby that I like, so I think I'll be paying them a visit soon. I'm assuming since you said I only need 2 bearing sets, those parts numbers are just for the rear d35? or am I mistaken and they'll fit the front too?

Hornbrod gave the numbers for the front brake discs/ hubs. Bornindesert gave you the numbers for the D35 rear axle. For both the front and rear you will need two each of each part number. I've recently done both front and rear on my 88 MJ 2WD and replaced brakes at the same time. Next step is the 96 XJ booster.

Thanks all, 

Thanks for the responses everyone!

Thanks Hornbrod, that is what I'm referring to. I'm relatively new to axle and brake work, so I'm using my Haynes service manual and CC as crutches while I learn. I have an O'Reillys nearby that I like, so I think I'll be paying them a visit soon. I'm assuming since you said I only need 2 bearing sets, those parts numbers are just for the rear d35? or am I mistaken and they'll fit the front too?

I'm referring to the front 2WD disk brakes only, not the rear drum brakes or rear D35 axle bearings. Front brakes provide about 80% of your total braking. Do these first, calipers, pads, bearings, races, and seals. If the rotor surface is scored, bring them O'Reillys and have them turned true. If they are worn too much and  can not be turned, you might have to replace them also. If you have a micrometer, you can measure the thickness yourself; if not O'Reillys, or wherever you get your parts from can do this.

I need to replace all my brakes because all the components are original. I'm not going to go through the trouble of getting my rotors resurfaced because they're so rusty and I want a beautiful braking system :brows: And my calipers are warped so  :dunno: might as well do it all at once. Only old thing on my whole braking system will be the booster, master and drums, and maybe not even those for long  :yes: Should I do ball joints while its all out?

Ball joints can be a real challenge! I did mine though because I'm passing the truck on to my son and wanted it to go another 50K miles without any problems. For the 4x4 front axle, MOOG makes a nice upper and lower replacement called "problem solvers". I also went to Harbor frieght and picked up the C-clamp and Adapter set, still had to hit it with some heat. Another fun project to take on!