Dana 35 Breaks

feerocknok

I'd like to hear who has broken they're Dana 35, where it broke, what the drivetrain was, how the driving was, and tires in use.

So, shafts, ring and/or pinion, spiders? 4.0/2.1/2.5/5.7? Manual or auto? Turning a corner or sudden traction? Bald all seasons or bias plys?

Main reason for the post is I'm curious how worried I should be with a 2.5 and a 904 on 31 or 33" MTs.

4.0L/manual/2wd/30"-ATs/open-diff. Under acceleration it started spitting out ring and pinion teeth. Also found out it was slightly bent, but have no idea which one caused the other.

With a 2.5/auto/31s you should be fine. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't plan for the future. :brows:

Broke one of mine 2 times. The last two were in XJs I built and sold.

4.0 5speed 31s. I spit the ring gear out on the highway. Mild hill 55

4.0 5speed 33s. Clutch drop on trail tryin to get a buddy out. Exploded spiders and broke left axleshaft.

4.0 auto 235s Spun a little on sand at a stoplight and broke right axleshaft only under part throttle.

4.0 auto 31s I broke the pionion off while flexin it in a ditch in front of my house. It was definately odd.

Hope that helps.

'99 TJ, 31" tires and a locker. going around a corner, no excessive throttle. WHAM, like I ran over a cinder block!! Busted shaft.

Rocky, soft ball sized stones and about a 25 degree grade. 31" mud terrain tires and a locker. Twisted off a axle shaft with in 20 feet.

The second one was not mine, but I was there.

CW

88 MJ - 4.0/5spd/31's - Normal acceleration in a parking lot and I munched the spider gears, snapped the cross shaft in two spots. I think there was some play in the passenger side axle shaft that caused it, possibly bad/worn bearings. There was also lots of metal shavings in the gear oil.

Ok 1987 2.5 AX4 and 31s took of and grabbed 2nd a few times then pulled out on the pavement 2 hours later and it chattered. Ended up that the PUMPKIN yes i said Pumpkin SPUN on the axle tubes :eek: to where the ujoint on the D-shaft was smacking itself on rotation. I was in high school i have learned my lesson :oops:

Cole