Fuel Cell

I like the external pump idea. It's a major PITA to change out the in-tank pump now with pulling the drive shaft, removing the skid, then dropping the tank. Next time my pump goes out I'm going with a quality external pump and just tie the pump discharge side in at the existing fuel filter inlet. The tank return line and sender can stay as it is. Then when the time comes for the next pump change, I can do it in less than 30 minutes. Garvin, what's with the two capped ports on top of you tank? One for the return line and one for the emissions cannister?

Hornbrod,

That is a tank I used on my 52 Willys build. That photo was taken just after I plumbed in the fuel pump. Later on I added a return, but no canister. The caps were just temporary.

Installing that pump like you mentioned is a good idea. The only downside is noise. That is a major reason the manufacturers put them inside the tank. Noise and cooling.

I would most definately sound insulate the pump if you installed it under the cab.

The E2000 pump comes with a foam cover which might not sound like a lot but does quiet the pump down drastically. I can barely hear the pump with the Jeep off and the pump running and it's in the front of the bed, right behind the cab.

Thanks guys. I've used external pumps before and a cushioned mount makes a lot of difference killing the noise. I'm more concerned with cooling than noise. And the fact that submerged pumps are more efficient than suction pumps. As you mentioned, locating it as close as possible to the tank suction point is very important. :thumbsup:

I'm sure my pump would work a hell of a lot better if I took it from the top of the tank to the side but it feeds the 350 fine, I don't see anyone having an issue with it no matter where it's planted with the 4.0L. And a simple solution to a noisy pump, turn the radio up louder. ;)

I've got a replacement Airtex pump in mine from Autozone without issue. Also using a replacement fuel tank from Rockauto. As long as you have the sender itself and it's working, just redoing the old setup should work fine. Unless I'm missing something here.

I've got a replacement Airtex pump in mine from Autozone without issue. Also using a replacement fuel tank from Rockauto. As long as you have the sender itself and it's working, just redoing the old setup should work fine. Unless I'm missing something here.

i don't have my fuel sender its broken.