Glove Box Key

I just thought about this, and it probably sounds silly; does anyone have the original glove box key for their trucks? :dunno:

Never got one with mine, and, to be quite honest, I've yet to actually see one for any of the other Jeeps I've been in. Was thinking about getting a key made for it sometime down the road, just as something to have around.

Would I have to go up to the dealership and deal with them about getting one made, or would I just have to get a local locksmith to make a key for it?

Another question; can the mechanisms be removed from the glove box door, or is it permanently held in place? On the off-chance that the dern' thing is all caddy-wonkus or some such; I wouldn't mind having an extra mechanism or two hanging around, if I could get the keys that goes to them that is... :hmm:

I feel pretty silly overlooking the fact that the three of you mentioned. Not to mention reading about it in the owner's manual several times. Also figured out how to remove the mechanism while I was fiddling around with it.

I seem to have a different mechanism in there, as it does not accept the key that works for the door. Even tried the set I made for my dad; still won't fit in.

Guess one of the PO's swapped in a different latch onto the glove box door at some point before I got the truck. :thwak:

I'll probably replace it when I can find a random XJ or MJ key at the junkyard that fits a glovebox mechanism. :crossfingers:

I know the glove box lock comes apart,

because my old red trail truck MJ didn't have a door/glove box key when I bought it.

I took the glove box lock apart,

and cut a key blank for it by hand with a file...

and I thought I was pretty smart for not having to pull the door lock

till I realised it worked in the glove box only,

and NOT in the door :(

So I pulled the door lock out and saw they WERE keyed the same,

but the door used one more tumbler than the glove box lock.

Another hit with the file, and the key fit both :yes: