Installing Exhaust Manifold

I'm installing a new exhaust system on my MJ including a new exhaust manifold, pipes, cat and muffler, all stock. Can this be done without disconnecting fuel line to the intake, the vacuum hoses and the throttle linkage? I'm thinking I may be able to slide the intake back a little, support it from above (couple of 2x4s across the fenders and some straps or rope) while removing/replacing the exhaust, and then slide it back in place and bolt on the manifolds with a new gasket.

What's the best way to do this?

Possibly could be done that way, but I found it easiest to just pull the fuel rail (and electrical connectors) off the injectors,

disconnect the linkages and vacuum, and R&R both manifolds together. Leave the fuel lines attached to the rail. Be

careful not to overtorque the two (one in front and one in back) nuts onto the studs.

Thanks for the feedback. Probably won't take that much longer to just pull everything off and will provide more working room to clean the gasket surfaces and studs/bolts, etc.

I think my manual has the torques for the studs and I believe I remember seeing different values for the outer studs.

Did you use Neversieze on the studs/bolts?

yes I did use never seize. look thought my build thread and I have picture and some info of when I replaced my intake manifold. Also While your there IF your motor mounts are in bad shape I would highly suggest replacing them at the same time.

My build thread: http://comancheclub.com/topic/34531-1988-you-aint-chancin-unless-your-manchin-mj-build-pic-he/