Catastrophic U-Joint Failure...

So I drove up towards the back door of my building like I've done many times this winter (not plowed at all, over a foot of snow there) without issue, but this time for whatever reason I didn't make it quite all the way up the gentle slope. So I back down, get a little stuck, and then this happened and then I was very stuck...

g6nPp.jpg

I suspected the u-joint was bad for a while, but when I looked at it, it seemed alright. Guess I was wrong, eh?

Digging through the snow underneath after I got pulled out, the only chunks I found were three of the u-joint caps, two of them with about 1/2 to 3/4" broken off inside.

So my issue is the axle now won't stay put, and every time the two ends make contact, my wheel locks briefly since the open diff makes the axle spin backwards compared to the wheel. Otherwise, everything's fine in 2wd. I'm pretty sure I can't stretch my means far enough to get a new axle half, or even a used one (although I haven't priced anything out yet) so is there any way I can prevent the axle from sliding around, or can I just take it out and plug the hole somehow to keep the diff from losing fluid?

I'm thinking angle grind the clevis off the axle and wire it in somehow as being the least expensive way to achieve 2wd driveability, or do I need the axle in there for some reason?

You can pull the axleshaft out and plug the end up with a rag or something as a temp fix. Did this to get home from wheeling. Make sure you leave the stub shaft in the hub or your unit bearing will come apart. They are not much at junkyards or check craigslist for some one parting out a cherokee.

Temporary may be until summer... I haven't been able to make it out to a jy yet, since the couple I know of are all too far out of the city to bus/walk (and it's winter...) but I never really thought about looking for parters. Will do.

Anything other than an xj/mj I could pull it from?