Adding Emissions Components To My Comanche

I am starting this thread to document the addition of emissions components to my '87 Comanche. As I noted here: http://comancheclub.com/topic/36615-mil-warnings/#entry366926, my Comanche, which had a '99 Comanche 4.0L swapped in, was throwing an error code P0443. When I went deeper, it appeared that the entire swap was done sans emissions components. In the picture below, you will notice there is no purge solenoid.

Comanche_Engine_Bay.jpg

We went to the Pic-N-Pull and pulled the following emissions components from a '98 Cherokee:

Emissions_Parts.jpg

Pictured above are the hoses running from the tank to the evap canister, from the evap canister to the purge solenoid, and from the evap canister to the capped tube. (I think that in some models, the capped tube actually connects to leak detection pump.) We also pulled the evap canister, which is the square thing, and the purge solenoid, which is the smaller cylinder down and to the right of the evap canister.

I took the following picture of the emissions sticker from the '98 Cherokee we were cannibalizing:

99_Cherokee_Emissions_Sticker.jpg

We will be working on the installation tomorrow, and I will update this thread then.

Finally! The evap canister has been mounted next to the muffler under the truck bed. This task took around 5 hours longer than intended thanks to a bolt head shearing and about 4 hours trying to get it out. I finally gave up and mounted the canister using two new bolts.

The mounted canister:

Mounted_Evap_Canister.jpg

Mounted_Evap_Canister_Two.jpg

And the evap canister has been connected to the rollover valve from the main tank:

Evap_Canister_To_Tank.jpg

• 6 months later...

I am starting this thread to document the addition of emissions components to my '87 Comanche. As I noted here: http://comancheclub.com/topic/36615-mil-warnings/?do=findComment&comment=366926, my Comanche, which had a '99 Comanche 4.0L swapped in, was throwing an error code P0443. When I went deeper, it appeared that the entire swap was done sans emissions components. In the picture below, you will notice there is no purge solenoid.

Comanche_Engine_Bay.jpg

We went to the Pic-N-Pull and pulled the following emissions components from a '98 Cherokee:

Emissions_Parts.jpg

Pictured above are the hoses running from the tank to the evap canister, from the evap canister to the purge solenoid, and from the evap canister to the capped tube. (I think that in some models, the capped tube actually connects to leak detection pump.) We also pulled the evap canister, which is the square thing, and the purge solenoid, which is the smaller cylinder down and to the right of the evap canister.

I took the following picture of the emissions sticker from the '98 Cherokee we were cannibalizing:

99_Cherokee_Emissions_Sticker.jpg

We will be working on the installation tomorrow, and I will update this thread then.

Help! Hey I have the same stuff on my 98 Cherokee Classic 4.0 2wd .  Question..the hose that has the cap on it in your picture supposed to go to leak detector, just got the Jeep and the end of that hose is just there between engine and firewall stickn up loose and is open no cap nor a place to hook it to, I  don't have a leak detector as I know of will it be ok to just cap it off and forget it? Maybe the guy that installed engine knocked the cap off if it had one, the duty cycle purge solenoid is still there and connected to 2 lines/hoses one to intake other going under I guess to cannister. If there aint nowhere to connect it what is it there for? I never saw it before.In case I want to install a leak detector maybe? My first Jeep..But thanks to reading all this good info here am leaning. Got a check engine lite on would the cap have anything to do with that?  Wish I had a Comanche   Thx for any info... Bob

Not a bad spot for it at all. Plenty of room to put it there and save that spot in the engine bay for other stuff.

Finally! The evap canister has been mounted next to the muffler under the truck bed. This task took around 5 hours longer than intended thanks to a bolt head shearing and about 4 hours trying to get it out. I finally gave up and mounted the canister using two new bolts.

The mounted canister:

Mounted_Evap_Canister.jpg

Mounted_Evap_Canister_Two.jpg

And the evap canister has been connected to the rollover valve fro|||

• 1 month later...

I don't mean to knock your efforts yet I wonder why, if it's registered as the older vehicle, you just can't keep it up to date of manufacture for emissions. I'm no expert yet from what I can see from the science of combustion most of the crap the Feds have required is something of a shell game for turning different measured hydrocarbons into unmeasured ones. Yet I do think the evap system is really important as unburned hydrocarbons are the worst. Most of my oldies pullute more just sitting around evaporating than the new ones do running. Just curious. Happy motoring.