Netbook Question Regarding An Asus Eee

Pete M

my computer is a 2 year old Asus Eee PC with an Atom N455 processor. Was looking at getting some more RAM but it would appear I need to know which specific model I have. The guy at the online computer store said I should have a sticker on the bottom of my computer that has that info, but the only one I see tells about the microsoft aspect (windows 7) rather than the Asus parts. :dunno:

ideas?

It won't be a sticker it should be printed onto the plastic itself, somewhere near the asus logo on the bottom. Some models also have the model number printed on the corners of the bezel around the screen. If you still can't find it try checking the system properties by right clicking the my computer icon and pressing properties or using the hot key Windows Key + pause (which may require the use of the fn key on your netbook). If all else fails upload a good quality photo of the bottom of the computer and we I be able to help you identify it.

The computer page and the screen bezel say the model is a Eee PC, except that info doesn't get me any closer to finding a RAM card (they want a number like G60, x101h, 1215T, etc). :( I wonder if there's anything under the battery...

part of me thinks that all the memory cards are the same and that this is all pointless, but I'd rather not spend money on an uneducated guess.

They are not the same but you may be able to determine what kind you need by looking at the ram you already have installed. First of all how much ram do you have installed currently?

Secondly if you can remove the ram cover on the bottom and examine the ram for any identification on the modules themselves they may reveal what kind you need.

Also I looked it up and it seems that asus eee pc's have only used 2 types of ram, one is 200 pin ddr2 and the other is 204 pin ddr3 so that's good, if you can not find the type on ram on the module you should be able to count the pins (both sides) and figure out what kind you need.

Though I know that model number has got to be on there somewhere! check this out :http://support.asus.com/repair.aspx?no=565&SLanguage=en

FOUND IT! :banana: it was indeed under the battery. I have a 1018P apparently.

originally I was going to ask Asus, but the query form asked for my model and serial number :rotf: and even their site says I should have a sticker on the bottom of my netbook. damn chinese can't even put a sticker in the right spot. :fs1:

yes, ive been using my asus eee as the main computer for 3 yrs now. processor of a cell phone but a real work horse,lol. had the RAM doubled to 2g and i got the last one to still come with XP.. its been a great lil machine but i think its finally time to upgrade to a real laptop. ive been using it like one all this time anyway. it used to come in handy when heading into town for the day because the 10 hr battery means not having to pack cords along.

I actually supplemented my income (or lack there of) for a while by fixing netbooks. Mostly Acer Aspire one's. I've done at least ten of those and a few other laptop models. I generally buy them cheap on craigslist or ebay, but sometimes I get ahold of them for free from a family member who has broken and then upgraded. Great thing about netbooks is their parts are generally really cheap, and if you purchase recovery media from the oem you can actually use it on multiple computers if they are the same model, hence my focus on Acer aspire one's :yes: easy way to make a quick $100 here or there.

having the prominence of being a third year computer science major has also allowed me to get paid to fix a few computers for friends along the way too.

gotta love a netbook :thumbsup:

I actually supplemented my income (or lack there of) for a while by fixing netbooks. Mostly Acer Aspire one's. I've done at least ten of those and a few other laptop models. I generally buy them cheap on craigslist or ebay, but sometimes I get ahold of them for free from a family member who has broken and then upgraded. Great thing about netbooks is their parts are generally really cheap, and if you purchase recovery media from the oem you can actually use it on multiple computers if they are the same model, hence my focus on Acer aspire one's :yes: easy way to make a quick $100 here or there.

having the prominence of being a third year computer science major has also allowed me to get paid to fix a few computers for friends along the way too.

gotta love a netbook :thumbsup:

I have an Acer Aspire One, and I love it. It isn't my primary computer, but it's trying hard to replace my notebook as my secondary. Even with the OEM standard 1GB of RAM it runs the full Microsoft Office suite, and even runs my old version of AutoCAD LT. I use an external CD-ROM drive for installing software.

But it is a bit slow. I have seen conflicting reports -- can the Aspite One be upgraded to 2GB, or even 4GB? If so, is the upgrade an additional module, or does it replace the OEM module?

The aspire one zg5(a150) model can have 1.5gig of ram with 512mb being built on and a 512mb being replaceable with a 1gig stick. The Aspire one d250 can have 2 gigs of ram.

I used a d250 as my main pc for a while running xp, not too bad and it is really thin, especially for the time it came out.

As far as asus goes i fixed one up for my mom a few years ago, I find that they can be a quality computer but you have to make sure you get a good model. They are kind of hit and miss but overall they are a good product

But it is a bit slow. I have seen conflicting reports -- can the Aspire One be upgraded to 2GB, or even 4GB? If so, is the upgrade an additional module, or does it replace the OEM module?

Had to edit this because my original information was outdated (was thinking Windows XP 32-bit versus 64-bit).

If you're running Windows 7 or later (regardless of 32 or 64-bit architecture, you can upgrade to 4Gb on your netbook, however, you will likely need to replace the 2Gb module with a 4Gb module (unless your netbook has two RAM slots, but most of the time, they only come with one).