Fancy Rearview Mirror (Again)

This is a quick writeup for adding a newer model rearview mirror to your MJ. Just as a forewarning you have to remove your headliner to do this properly

Ok here we go . . .

Unfortunately i did not take note of where i got this mirror except it was from a PnP.

Image Not Found

This particular mirror has three wires. . . Orange, Black, and White

Orange will be a Constant hot.

Black your Constant ground

White is a switched ground, door open / lights on, door closed / lights off

In this picture you can see where i have fed the wires up as to keep them out of the way and consolidated. Also you can see what to do with the BLACK wire in this picture as well. Use a VERY short self tapping screw. You can use a round wire crimp or do what i did and strip a whole bunch of the wire back and wrap the bare copper wire around the screw shaft.

IF you have working vanity mirrors, this makes things much easier. Take the orange wire and splice into the hot vanity wire, simple as that.

* If you don't have vanity mirrors you will have to find a source for you hot, possibly the radio, which will require significantly longer wire to be run, but still 100% doable.

Next its time for the Switched ground, white wire. . .

Ignore the second black wire, you will only need one.

The wire you decide to use will need to be long enough to run along the roof to the Passenger side A pillar, down the A pillar and into protective plactic cover at the bottom.

Now that you have the wire run you need to tap into your Floor board light harness. There will be two wires going to the bulb, a red/pink one and a black one. Splice the wire you have just run into the BLACK wire.

After this, test it out see if everything works. Function, Door open both map lights will come on together. Door closed lights go off, BUT you will be able to turn them both on individually.

If it works, tuck everything back in, glue your new mirror in place and your done. P.S. Store bought super glue actually works pretty good.

I had that same map light mirror mounted for awhile, but with the under-dash courtesy lights, the LED B-pillar lights, and vanity sun visors, I was overwhelmed with excess cab lighting. So I swapped out the map-light mirror with a Home Link auto-dimming rear view mirror I pulled at the yard. Much more usefull opening either garage door and/or unlocking the house entrance door. Plus the auto-dimming feature is great at night when some turkey behind you is running high beams.

Improved lighting (interior and exterior) for the MJ has been on my mind for a long time. I'm still gathering data and learning. I want some super headlights with high beams that are comparable to the best modern high beams. But I hate those ultra bright white and blue beams. Hate getting blinded by those. Then for extra offroad lights I want something like the tight beams of KC Daylighters, then another pair of forward offroad lights for flood. Something for under the hood switched on demand, also some flood lights under the MJ for night wheeling. For the interior, something like Cracker's that's tied into the door switches, but also lighted vanity mirrors in the visors. I also want improved B Pillar lights but I want them to look stock.

Oh, and I want it all to be low amp draw like LEDs......but I don't want to spend 2K for Baja style lighting. This will require a lot more switches and relays.

I want the switches high on the headliner.

So whenever I get around to glassing my headliner and installing some sort of upper console and have a good cost effective plan for the rest of the interior and exterior lighting (and I have the $), then I want to do it all as one project.

I have an endstate in mind, just not sure how to get there without going power shopping.

Improved lighting (interior and exterior) for the MJ has been on my mind for a long time... This will require a lot more switches and relays.

I want the switches high on the headliner....

Yeah... everyone wants more lighting and running enough power can be an issue.

... always know where your switches are.