Is a wrecked 1999 Jeep Cherokee of any use?

clarkerussell

A friend of mine just wrecked (totaled) his 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport (4.0L, 4x2, Auto, 56K miles) and can buy the salvaged car for $1200 from the insurance company. He doesn't want to buy it, but offered it to me.

As I have a 1988 Jeep Comanche (4.0, 4x2, Manual), I was wondering if any of the mechanical parts would be of any use. I've considered a 4X4 swap in the past, but his is an Auto and I have a manual. Regardless, before I let it slip away, I thought I'd run it by you guys first.

Oh, the damage is to the front of the car, but I don't know the full extent other than it was bad enough for the airbags to go off. Thanks.

Clarke

The front axle will be a HP 30, trans is an aw4 (indestructible)it should be a 23 spline np231 (stronger then the older ones) The 8.25 rear is just as strong as a d44. Interior will be nicer, and should fit.

For airbags to go off, isnot that big of a deal. They are also right pricey, and can quickly total out an older vehicle.

IMHO 1200 is a bit high, especailly considering the headache with a salvage titale you get. I have bought wholeunwrecked xj's in the 97 +98 vintages for less then 500 bucks before.

Patrick