Tilt Steering Column Rebuild

It's a royal pain on a regular floor shift rig, and the column shift adds even more complication to the task. Lots of small parts to keep track of, clips and springs that pop out and fly across the room so you have no idea how they go back in, hidden screws. If you're going to attempt it, make sure you have lots of time and patience, a good torx bit set, "reverse torx" bit set (I don't know the technical term for these sockets) lock spring compressor, steering wheel puller, and a good assortment of phillips screwdrivers. When you get frustrated, stop, take a break, and try again. Don't just start ripping things apart, because it all has a specific order and way it goes in and you'll end up breaking stuff if you get frustrated.

I've done a few "tilt fixes" on regular columns without the column shifter, which requires pretty much disassembling the whole thing. I got into the MJ tilt column with column shift almost all the way, and decided it wasn't worth it to try and figure out how to put it back together. I luckily had an XJ with a non-tilt column that was in good shape, and all the floor shifter brackets and cables, and went that route rather than pull my hair out trying to get the other column back together right.

I always suggest to XJ people that they should just try and find another column in good shape rather than go through the trouble of tearing one apart... but in the case of the column shift models, it's not so easy to find another.