Sunroof, factory or aftermarket?

• 4 weeks later...

don't put one in. all they do is leak! ive seen one in an xj that leaked and the one in my mj leaks in the exact same spot. i just bought and installed a new seal and hinges. doesnt leak for now but i think it eventually will again. and they are only held in by the silicone/adheasive under the main frame. and it makes the roof very flimsy. one thing i will watch out for now on every vehicle i buy is an aftermarket sunroof in a vehicle it didnt come stock in.

don't put one in. all they do is leak! ive seen one in an xj that leaked and the one in my mj leaks in the exact same spot. i just bought and installed a new seal and hinges. doesnt leak for now but i think it eventually will again. and they are only held in by the silicone/adheasive under the main frame. and it makes the roof very flimsy. one thing i will watch out for now on every vehicle i buy is an aftermarket sunroof in a vehicle it didnt come stock in.

Sunroofs were never a factory option for MJs, but many were dealer installed. I agree: if you are clueless about cutting big holes to install a window in a metal roof, don't do it. This includes me. :yes: I had mine installed by the guy who does all the dealership work in our local area doing nothing but sunroof installs. That was about five years ago. It's been through 100s of rain storms and has never leaked - ever. Installing a sunroof is not a good task to practice your OJT.

If you are, going to practice, however, it is best done on a TJ or YJ hardtop. ;)

The install gives you a great idea on the process in sealing. The seals are like your tub/shower caulk seals, they need replacing sometimes. It's still my favorite mod on the TJ, including the much sexier winch/tires/lift, even though it's time to replace the seals and she's dripped on me a couple times.