MJ Bench to MJ Buckets

OK, I'm searchtarded. I can find several write ups about making XJ buckets fit but nothing about switching an MJ bench with MJ Buckets. Do these just bolt in or do I need to take the mounting brackets off the bench and replace the mounting brackets on the buckets? It doesn't appear to me that the bolt pattern for the bench matches the bolt pattern the buckets but I could be wrong.

OK, well, on a closer examination of my new bucket seats, it looks like whoever put them in the MJ I took them out of welded extensions on the front and back outer brackets so they could move the bolts over. I'm going to grind those off and see if my seat will then just bolt into my MJ.

if the buckets came from an MJ, then they will go right in with no mods needed. :thumbsup:

fyi, the female ends of the seatbelts in a buckets truck will have a sheath that keeps it from falling to the floor.

if the buckets came from an MJ, then they will go right in with no mods needed. :thumbsup:

fyi, the female ends of the seatbelts in a buckets truck will have a sheath that keeps it from falling to the floor.

I edited my original post. After grinding the extensions off, you're right, they look like they'll bolt right in.

As for the seatbelts....I'm gonna have to go back and take some good penetrating oil. I tried to get them out and they just were NOT budging plus it started pouring rain and I didn't feel like fooling with them. I may try and make something for the seatbelts I have to make them stay up.

I edited my original post. After grinding the extensions off, you're right, they look like they'll bolt right in.

What did you grind? To install MJ bucket seats into an MJ no grinding of anything is required.

What did you grind? To install MJ bucket seats into an MJ no grinding of anything is required.

Whoever put them in the MJ that I took them out of welded extensions on the outer bracket legs of both seats. Looks like he/she had to move the bolts in the donor MJ for some reason. The brackets now look normal and should bolt right up.

• 2 weeks later...

So, the buckets are in but it wasn't as easy as I'd hoped. Apparently the seats I pulled from the donor comanche weren't comanche seats. I had to cut the brackets off those buckets and off my bench then weld my bench brackets to the new buckets. Once I did that, they bolted in like a dream. They appear to be the rocker style because the brackets aren't straight and I sit about 2' higher now which is fine but I'm going to have to figure out how to put an extension on my clutch pedal.

I'm short and for me to reach it comfortably now I have to pull the seat closer than I like.

Fixed it. Thanks Pete!

I've been hesitant to do that since if rust starts under the layer of liner (rust can also start under the truck or in the frame), it's nearly impossible to notice or treat. :dunno:

Good point. Maybe just some loose carpet pieces or removable rubber mats. Since I took the carpet and insulation out, it gets HOT down around the console area.