Brake light switch "Bushings" , SOS

:headpop: Jeep/ Chrysler no longer stocking Bushing # J321 5922 ( 2 req. ) that fits sleeve thru rod end ( to booster ). The sleeve holds the brake light switch which in turn bolts onto the brake pedal . Problem is , when the bushing (plastic ) wears down the brake lights don't work until the pedal is completely bottomed out . :eek: In traffic this is just asking for a rear-end collision every time you slow down , so I've been hitting the hazard switch instead . :shake: Anybody here have any home-made fixes for this bushing replacement :help:

Check with this place - they make custom plastics including a tubing that is very similar to the plastic bushing you are referring to.

http://www.professionalplastics.com/CADILLACPLASTICS

I have ordered some of the extruded acrylic tubing from them (for another project) and believe the tube wall thickness could be close.

I do not know what the minimum order quanity is for the size you are seeking, but in most instances it is a case of 6 foot tubes. You might want to try and contact the site and see if they have a piece of scrap lying around.

Good Luck!

i've not had this issue with mine, however I've read the 91 uses a different switch style that allows shims to be installed. It's possible you could scrap a brake pedal assembly from a 91+ to change switch styles. Which would also make an upgrade to a dual diaphragm brake booster simpler in the future.

No luck on after-market dealers ( Crown , Omix-ada etc. ) Getting by using a shim between the switch and push-rod sleeve ....It works :yes: but still would rather source or fab up some proper bushings to do the job right :wrench:

i've not had this issue with mine, however I've read the 91 uses a different switch style that allows shims to be installed. It's possible you could scrap a brake pedal assembly from a 91+ to change switch styles. Which would also make an upgrade to a dual diaphragm brake booster simpler in the future.
Good suggestion :thumbsup: :cheers: