Rear Brakes Catching Hard

I was driving home this evening coming to a stop at a red when my truck's rear brakes locked up causing me to skid to an abrupt stop. Every stop after that, my rear brakes would catch with just the slightest press on the brake pedal. It was causing my seat belt to lock as hard as it was stopping. I would like to save my tires and fix the culprit. It's only doing it off and on now. Any help? Thanks!

I was driving home this evening coming to a stop at a red when my truck's rear brakes locked up causing me to skid to an abrupt stop. Every stop after that, my rear brakes would catch with just the slightest press on the brake pedal. It was causing my seat belt to lock as hard as it was stopping. I would like to save my tires and fix the culprit. It's only doing it off and on now. Any help? Thanks!

Check the height proportioning valve in the back of the truck.

Its above the back diff, Just to the left.

It controls how much braking power the back has, Might be stuck open /etc

Check the height proportioning valve in the back of the truck. Its above the back diff, Just to the left.

Got a procedure on how to "check" the height sensing bias valve? Other than if the linkage is correctly hooked up or not?

Check the height proportioning valve in the back of the truck. Its above the back diff, Just to the left.

Got a procedure on how to "check" the height sensing bias valve? Other than if the linkage is correctly hooked up or not?

Basically just meant make sure its hooked up properly, Could have came undone from driving / hitting something.

I'm not positive both are locking up. I pulled my hubs and cleaned both sides really well. Drove around the block and nothing caught. I do have a leak where the shaft goes into the axle. I will be driving more today to see if the issue continues.

New shoes in a worn drum can also cause this issue.

The arc of a new shoe will be the same as a new drum. The diameter of a worn drum can be so great that the shoe only contacts in the center when applied. If so the adjusters can't do thier job properly and can over or underadjust the shoes. Loose shoes or shoes that don't match the drum's arc can rock and cause locking. An overadjusted sho that only contacts in the center can do the same thing.

Whe messing with drum brakes always check the drum to shoe arc by putting the shoe in the drum before installing it on the vehical. The shoe should contact on the full radius of the drum's arc and not just the center.

opsled