3" Lift and 8.8 install questions

I have a 89 shortbed that is basically stock. It has 2" risers on the front springs to level it. I am going to lift it with a 3" hellcreek kit and at the same time, install a 8.8 with 3.73 gears and LS. I'm not sure what I want to do to the front axle, but I'm thinking either re-gear (it has 3.07's I think) to 3.73 to match the rear, or replace the whole axle with one that already has the right gears.I will probably install a lunch box locker at the same time. I am thinking of a newer axle without the CAD if I go that way. There is a local guy that is selling a non-disco axle, complete, for $275. Either way, I plan on new TRE's and anything else that is loose. I would appreciate you guys thoughts on this. Thanks.

3.73s are very rare in a HP Dana 30. I'd almost suggest selling the 8.8 and finding one with 4.10s.

The Dana 30 should be good up to 33s (with the late model shafts/ujoints). No sense doing a custom axle install up front if you're not going super big.

3.73s are very rare in a HP Dana 30. I'd almost suggest selling the 8.8 and finding one with 4.10s.

you right, now that i really think about it. :doh:

What are your plans after putting this lift on? tire size and off road capability can help determine what to do.

IMO if you replace the axle, upgrade. don't put any money into the d30 if you don't have to. However if you find a good deal on a hp d30 with 3.73s in it already, go for it. But most on here as well as myself advise to upgrade from the d30.

As long as he sticks to 33s or smaller tires he should be ok on the D30 with some cheap junk yard upgrades.

I don't do any radical wheeling anymore, mostly used for hunting and running around on dirt roads and farm fields. I do need tire chains for snow from time to time when I go to Colo. for Elk hunting. Probably won't run anything larger than 31's.

I don't do any radical wheeling anymore, mostly used for hunting and running around on dirt roads and farm fields. I do need tire chains for snow from time to time when I go to Colo. for Elk hunting. Probably won't run anything larger than 31's.

When I was up to the place last week end i counted 33 Elk waiting for me, but no snow.

3.73s IIRC were only available in 2.8L powered MJs/XJs. This is the first axle swap I did on my MJ. I found a front HP D30 with 3.73s under an 84' XJ. Just scour the yards and check the diff tags under all the 84'-86' XJs you can find.

also a few later XJs with a certain towing package.

They are quite common under ZJs and TJs (which have a low pinon dana 30). :thumbsup: