Stupid Question - Shock Installation

I'm finishing up my SOA conversion in the rear and tonight I was ready to bolt on my new shocks, but for the life of me I couldn't get the bushing to slip over the mounted stud/bolt on the frame nor could I slide the sleeve in the lower bushing. I sprayed grease on them and tried to warm them up with a hair dryer, but I couldn't even get them started.

Am I missing something? I didn't have this issue with the shocks I just took off (when I installed them two years ago).

With everything else I've done, this made me feel pretty stupid. :wall:

I'm not trying to put the sleeve on the top, but even without it, I can't get it over the stud/bolt. The bushing on the bottom (and the top) is meant for a 1/2" bolt, but the holes on my shock mounts aren't that big, so the sleeve is to make up the slack that would be present if I don't use it.

I took some pictures for reference. Here is the bolt through the shock mount:

Here is the bolt through the shock:

And here is the bolt through the sleeve:

I don't know what shock mounts you are using, non-stock obviously. Can't you ream them out and use the correct 1/2" bolts that fit the shock bushings w/o using sleeves? As in the stock shock mounts.

I guess I could, but I still can't get the shock to mount up top either.

Did the bolt come with the shocks?

Doesn't look like a stock shock mounting bolt. Try the HELP! section at your local auto parts place. They'll have an adapter shock mount. With the 1/2" part flared out to ~5/8" or so to fit the shock bushing. I used them building my trailer, solved the same problem.

OK, well I feel a little stupid. It was getting late last night after having worked on this truck for quite a while. Below is the kit that I purchased:

4610.jpg

The bolts in the lower left look like they are for securing the shocks to the mount on the axle side. I haven't really examined them yet, but I totally forgot I had them :doh: . I'll have to give them a whirl; hopefully I won't have the same issue with the RE sleeves that came with the shocks. I'm still not sure how to get the bushing over the stud on the frame side though.

Hopefully I'll have a positive update this evening. I need to stop working on the truck when its late and I'm tired.

Ok, so those bolts weren't exactly what I thought they might be. Turns out there was nothing mysterious or wrong. The bushings were just new and very very stiff. A little heat, a lot of lube and a lot of pressure and I was finally able to get the sleeves in. The bar pins on the front were tough, but not quite as bad.