mj overheating

I just picked up my 88 mj from the exhaust shop and got the exhaust all buttoned up, new header cat and muffler, on the way home it was a notch over normal on the high way. when I got in stop and go traffic the temp started climing slowly. I need to get this fixed asap.it almost got into the red. I have a brand new flowkooler water pump on it along with new hoses new overflow bottle, High flow thermostat, thermostat housing, and I has been flushed. The only thing that has not been replaced is the radiator and the fan clutch. When I rev the engine, the fan clutch seems as if it is catching...

Could this be a head gasket issue also? seems to be running normal, however I dropped it off at the muffler shop with a open header on it, they welded on the high flow cat and magnaflow muffler and I felt a good loss of power after that was welded on...

So know I need yalls opinions.

Also I need to find a radiator to buy at a good price that is a upgrade from the stock one row, and how much beet will it cool the engine.

And I need the same suggestion for a flan clutch. I would like to upgrade from stock if possible

the mj is a 1988 auto 4.0 and has 101,000 miles

so after thinking about it I decided to go ahead and put a new fan clutch and radiator.

know my question is should I get the stock 1 core or is a 3 core better. ALSO what about transmission lines?

I just ordered a flex a lite trans cool and B&M trans gauge to make sure I never over heat the trans. I new to know what to look out for and What I need when getting a new radiator that will work with the trans cooler too.

So ...... did this problem exist before you changed the above mentioned parts? or did it JUST start?

Well I don't know because this is the first time I have driven it in 100+ degree heat around town. I drove it a few moths a go in 80 degree heat and It didnt over heat ever.

However it did tend to get pretty warm and close to overheating on the beach in very soft sand and in 4x4/

There are NO clearance issues with the ZJ HD fan, did I emphasize NO ISSUES. The ZJ MAX COOL fan will NOT fit but the NAPA part number cruiser54 offered will fit and will give you a good 25% more air flow at idle, in traffic etc. If your going that route...don't even bother telling the parts guy anything but the part number, just the part number.

radiatorbarn.com has good all metal radiators at ~~$130-$140. They also have UBER-fast shipping. I got mine on my doorstep in 1 day, and I live in the boonies.

There are NO clearance issues with the ZJ HD fan, did I emphasize NO ISSUES. The ZJ MAX COOL fan will NOT fit but the NAPA part number cruiser54 offered will fit and will give you a good 25% more air flow at idle, in traffic etc. If your going that route...don't even bother telling the parts guy anything but the part number, just the part number.

radiatorbarn.com has good all metal radiators at ~~$130-$140. They also have UBER-fast shipping. I got mine on my doorstep in 1 day, and I live in the boonies.

This is what I found on radiator barn. only all metal one is a 3 row and it is $230...

https://www.radiatorbarn.com/search.php ... =radiator#

well I just bought the cfs 3 row radiator form jc Whitney, they had it at the cheapest price with a discount code shipped for 197.22 and I ordered the Napa 272310 fan clutch. for about 46.00. I also just sat out side with the truck Idling at 90 degree out side temps and It took about 25 mins before it got to the 3/4 mark. 1/4 past normal and 1/4 until overheating.... I really hope this fixes the issues. I checked the oil after I got done running it is it was till very clear and very light brown, I have about 30 miles on it since a oil change, and a few drips of liquid came out of the exhaust for about 10 tens after starting it and then it stopped, It had no smell at all.and it still runs normal. So Is this still any possibility of a head gasket failure or is that 100% rules out?

Well after paying for the radiator I got a email from jc whitney that said that it was out of stock and they would refund my money, so I just ordered it again from thepartsbin.com for about 205 with a coupon code

I just sold my '92 but before I did I went through the cooling system. I read as much as I could find for about a day or two because I tend to over-think things and research too much. I was also ready to pony up for the 3 row, but in the end I went with the copper 2 row with metal tanks from radiatorbarn.com and was totally happy with it (got it the next day even though I paid standard shipping).

I read that the cooling differences between the copper and aluminum were actually nil, and that aluminum was easier to corrode. I also read that the 2 row was more efficient than a 3 in most situations. It seems that people who spend a lot of time at slow crawling speeds liked the 3 row, but only if they had really strong fans. For most trail and D/D situations the 2 row was more preferred. I also needed to replace my aux e-fan and decided to buy the newer 10 s-blade design, cut off the connector and splice it to my old connector. Worked perfectly and did a fantastic job.

After all this I tested it out in my driveway by removing the mechanical fan and letting it sit at idle to get up to operating temp and see what the e-fan alone could do. Took forever! I ended up holding it at 2000 rpm just to get the temp to climb and when the e-fan kicked on at 220* it only took about 30 seconds to bring it below the 210 mark where the fan shut off. I actually drove it for a couple weeks with no mechanical fan at all just to see how it felt, in traffic as well, and the temps never quite got to 210*. I recommend keeping the stock 195* thermostat also. Ended up putting the mechanical fan back on because I didn't find the gains I was hoping to see.

That's my experience, and also my recommendation as far as radiator.

from this thread.. http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/radiato ... row-49018/

I'm sure youll be fine with the 3 row, but a while back i was reading up on 2 row vs 3 row and have decided on the 2 row when i get ready to upgrade. from what i remember reading, some people were having cooling issues with their new radiators from putting a lower temp t-stat in, just a fyi if that happens to you.