Gear Questions

Is a "thick cut" set of gear as strong as a standard set?

I've read on this forum that Rubicon's use the 3.07-3.73 carrier with a thick cut 4.11 gear set is that correct?

Are there "thick cut" gears for the D30 as well?

I guess this question is moot if the answer to the second question is yes, but is it safe/advised to use a "thick cut" gear set with a locker?

Damn I wish i had known this about a month ago. I passed on an elocker that was the lower carrier for 150. damn damn damn.

THERE ARE NO REVERSE CUT "THICK" GEARS THAT I HAVE SEEN. YET.

so the d44 in the rubi is a low pinion?

I deleted it by mistake. :doh: Here it is.

Answers in CAPS based on research/experience/actual use.

Is a "thick cut" set of gear as strong as a standard set? JUST AS STRONG, MOST SAY STRONGER. THE RING GEAR HAS MORE MEAT. THEY ARE OFTEN OFTEN USED IN DRAGSTERS RATHER THAN STANDARD CUT R&P GEARS.

I've read on this forum that Rubicon's use the 3.07-3.73 carrier with a thick cut 4.11 gear set is that correct? YES. THIS IS TO RETAIN THE LOWER RATIO CARRIER, LOCKED OR LS. I USE THICK 4.10s GEARS ON THE REAR D44 w. THE LOWER RATIO TRAC-LOK CARRIER.

Are there "thick cut" gears for the D30 as well? HAVE NEVER SEEN ANY, AND I'VE LOOKED. THERE ARE NO REVERSE CUT "THICK" GEARS THAT I HAVE SEEN. YET.

I guess this question is moot if the answer to the second question is yes, but is it safe/advised to use a "thick cut" gear set with a locker?

Yes.

So that's why people say it's not much better then a hp d30. The rubi 44 is low pinion and has d30 shafts, and knuckles... so really the only gain is a stronger carrier and the ability to get lower range gears.

Yes.

So that's why people say it's not much better then a hp d30. The rubi 44 is low pinion and has d30 shafts, and knuckles... so really the only gain is a stronger carrier and the ability to get lower range gears.

Little bigger 30 spline shafts but that's about the only extra beef.