Buy or pass? Driveline question...

I have pretty much decided to just keep my 2.5 and just rebuild the motor. I'm also ready to do the 4wd conversion. My local jy has a 86 2.5 4wd cherokee with complete driveline intact....it has 4speed manual (ax4 i assume) np207?? and 4.11 gears. i was quoted $825 for everything, front and rear axles, front driveshaft, tranny and transfercase, flywheel, clutch pedal assembly etc...everything but the motor. Anything i should be considering given this driveline? Is that price reasonable for what I'm getting?

My rig will not be used for anything close to hardcore, maybe a little playing here and there but mostly a DD type of truck that is capable of going offroad and getting back home.

in theory you should be able to buy a whole XJ for less than that. Either way I would keep looking for a later model with the 231 and AX-5. :thumbsup:

(2.5L + AX-4 usually equals 3.55 gears so triple check before buying)

and speaking of ratios, what ratio is that in your rear axle now?

:agree:

I got a whole totaled XJ with a 4.0 and ax15 for $400 last year that I used for my mule.

See my build in my sig to see what i got. Pulled a million parts off of it. I actually sold what was left this year a little soon. I wish I would've pulled a couple more parts off of it. Oh well.

$825 is too much for what you're getting. Shop around. Check Craigslist and stuff. If you aren't desparate for parts for a driver and are getting it for a project, definitely keep shopping.

in theory you should be able to buy a whole XJ for less than that. Either way I would keep looking for a later model with the 231 and AX-5. :thumbsup:

I agree, in theory i should be able to find one in that price range, but around here i have not had any luck.

i currently have 3.55s with the A904 3spd auto tranny.....its sad. lol

i would prefer a 4.0 doner rig but have accepted that my 86 causes a few headaches with that swap and will be fine with the 2.5, just for simplicity. At this point i will take what i can get.

the going rate around here seems to be in the 1000-2000 range for anything that runs....IF you can find one.

I agree, in theory i should be able to find one in that price range, but around here i have not had any luck.

i currently have 3.55s with the A904 3spd auto tranny.....its sad. lol

i would prefer a 4.0 doner rig but have accepted that my 86 causes a few headaches with that swap and will be fine with the 2.5, just for simplicity. At this point i will take what i can get.

the going rate around here seems to be in the 1000-2000 range for anything that runs....IF you can find one.

I feel your pain. There is no such thing as a "Cheap Jeep" down here. Even for the most clapped out pieces of crap, people still want upwards of $900 and absolutely refuse to budge any lower. Either that, or they charge arms and legs when they part them out. :fs1: I'm all for staying on the look until I find a deal, but when it gets down to it, sometimes you have to bite the bullet and throw down some $.

I just got a '94 XJ with 2.5, AX15, 4WD for $450. Runs good. Complete. Come get it, you can have it for $500. Don't buy parts from a JY. Get a complete donor and sell what you don't use.

AX5?