steering wheel interchange?

I have a 1987 MJ base model. It currently has a three spoke sporty looking steering with the outer covering (grip) similar to my '96 XJ. if you've had a steering wheel like that you know that it eventually rots/wears away and gets sticky. the MJ's isn't too bad but I would like to start looking for a replacement.

Can anyone give me some guidance about what I need to be looking for? I would like to stay with Jeep wheel if possible, but I'm open to ideas.

Thanks

pat

Most any pre-airbag GM steering wheel will fit as they all use Saginaw steering columns like our MJs. I couldn't find a decent Jeep wheel so I put one on from a late 80s Buick Regal Sport and made the center piece. Still looks Jeep. :D

Most any pre-airbag GM steering wheel will fit as they all use Saginaw steering columns like our MJs. I couldn't find a decent Jeep wheel so I put one on from a late 80s Buick Regal Sport and made the center piece. Still looks Jeep. :D

Hey Don, is that dirt I see on your brake pedal?? Better get that cleaned up or are ya startin to slip?

Hey Don, is that dirt I see on your brake pedal?? Better get that cleaned up or are ya startin to slip?

Yeah, it sure is. I hate cleaning the interior. The wife used to do it for me, but not anymore. :(

Yeah, it sure is. I hate cleaning the interior. The wife used to do it for me, but not anymore. :(

Well ya know what that means? It's either time to trade in the truck, or trade in the wife!

Thanks Pete M and cruiser54. I would prefer avoiding the lace on kits-I don't like the feel of them. Picky picky!

They are certainly a backup. I don't do any serious off-roading so the stretch on cover (QuadraTech) would probably work just fine. I was just trying to find out what other wheels would fit.

What color interior do you have? I have a stock 2 spoke style that I don't plan on ever using again.

I have the beigey-tan color. not sure the official name for it. What's the stock wheel look like? Prior to this Jeep the oldest one I've owned is a 96 XJ.

Thanks