Newbe with a dumb horn question

Nope, the only thing under the bumper is a little larger than a softball and has a medium hose and a small hose, they both look like vaccume lines. I am thinking that the horn has been removed.

My 88 came to me without a horn. I *finally* installed one last month (7 years later). There's a single wire for the horn that I found somewhere by the drivers side of the radiator. I bolted a horn in next to the battery (grounds iteself) and hooked up the wire. I rarely use a horn in traffic, but I've had many times I've wished for one on the trail trying to get someone's attention.

Jeep on!

--Pete

Well I see you are in the great state of VA :wink: am too. Be it a couple of hours from you. On both of my MJ's the horn is located on the drivers side under the inner fender. Just go to any cheapy auto store and buy a horn button and some wire, and you should be able to wire it up yourself.

BTW you are close to the u-wrench it. they normally have more Xj's and crap dwn there then they know what to do with.

Patrick

A horn is a pretty generic item. Being a purist I would look for an XJ/MJ horn if I could, but if you need to pass an inspection, any horn out of any vehicle should make enough noise to satisfy the inspectors. AFAIK all horns ground through the chassis and use only one wire for power.

which u-wrench it are you talking about? There are a couple here, most are small though.

There's a small-ish one right beside Oceana that I went to once, but it's a real mess. Plan on getting very muddy if ya go there LOL

If you have a free weekend or day off during the week, and want to take a small roadtrip up here to Richmond, there are 2 excellent U-pull yards here I go to. I'd be glad to meet up with ya and show them to you. At any given time there are at least 8-10 XJ's and one or 2 MJ's in each.

Jeff