shocks bad?

Yesterday I hit a pothole really hard, probably like 8-10" deep going ~35mph. I usually avoid it, but it was rainy and at night, couldn't see it, drivers side clipped it good.

MJ is making a new sort of noise, seems like its contained on the drivers side. Only happens when I go over bumps and it is much worse when I go over bumps whilst accelerating.

did I blow out my shocks? they don't bounce or anything, but when i yanked them around it seemed like the rods were loose.

I Know my rear universal joint is bad, that is probably contributing to the problem, the rear axle always seems like its loose, much worse lately.

• 4 weeks later...

I checked them a while ago, they seem tight. The axle shifts from side to side if you turn the wheel back and fourth. There is a clunking from the steering box area also. Must be a combination of a lot of things wrong.

Which noise? There are a few, one when you turn the wheel back and fourth and another when I hit a good bump that seems to come from the drivers side.

The steering noise is more of a knocking or clicking sound, and the bump noise sounds like something is bottoming out.

i had a similar problem with mine after i took a header into a short center median. check your wheeljoints. and then your ball joints. i screwed my u joints and yanked the ball joints hard enough to crack the dust covers. good luck :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

everything seems tight save the steering stabilizer, looks like a bushing is gone on one end.

tie rod looks like its bent also, and definitely steering box noise.

going to do u-joints in the read drive shaft eventually, and I know the shocks are on their way out, but I want to hold out on them until I get the rest of a lift kit.