ran out of gas, - now wont start

a couple of days ago i was running low on gas ( gauge hasnt been working) and i pulled up in front of a store i was going to. parked a bit off camber. when i came out the truck wouldnt start. i figured i would roll down to where it was sitting level and try again. did that but still no start. went and put $20 worth of gas in. still no start. :fs1:

i have been ill lately and was in no mood to start pulling stuff off so eventually after a lot of useless cranking i just sent it on its way on a tow truck. havnt heard back yet but apparently it will be done tomorrow. ( these things always happen to me on a holiday weekend :headpop: ).

here's where it gets weird. today I'm out in the wife's 99 xj and i see its low on gas. i pull into the same store and park on the same hill and shut it off to make a phone call. when i go to leave it won't start :doh: . this car has low miles and never gives much trouble so i figure i will roll down on to the level ground , start it and drive to the gas station.

i cannot believe it. ------ but i just walked home.

2 jeeps. identical scenario, - in the exact same location within 3 days.

i can hear the fuel pump.

i dunno ......................................

both crank good on new batteries.

we'll see i guess..................................

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggh.

Sounds like maybe an electrical problem. Not fuel. Squirt some starting fluid into the air intake. If it fires it's fuel delivery. If it doesn't, it's electrical. I had a strange experience like this once. Jeep wouldn't start. Tried everything, nada. all tests were good. Finally gave it the ether try. It fired right off and never had another bit of trouble with it since. :dunno:

at this stage the mj is lookin like it needs an ecu. i can get one from an 86xj, 2.5 , 5spd for $110. plus shipping from vancouver island.

the xj was a bit weirder though. mechanic put in a cps and it started right up ( after charging the battery) and i went and picked it up , but now it does a strange thing (or 2) and often when i turn the key off the motor keeps running for like 15 or 20 seconds :dunno: .

he was saying that it may also need an air intake temperature sensor , which it may, but this car has always run perfect until this incendent. - lots of puzzling behaviors all of a sudden :hmm: