Quick speedo cable question

Hey all,

I have a 4.0L Rwd. Can I drive it without a speedo cable hooked up or will things get into the trans via the opening? Can I just put some tape over it or a pill bottle or something?

I am just talking the cable itself, the gear assembly will still be in the trans.

I need to pull it to fix it/replace it but the parts stores seem to not be able to find one so I want to match the new cable before I buy one but don't know when I'll have time to reattach everything.

Thank you

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
DORMAN Part # 03269

Any store that has access to dorman parts can get this. I just bought 1 from Advance this week for an identically setup truck. ;)

Thanks for this, though it seems it may not be avail in Canada as no one seems to be able to get one for trucks without cruise control.

Oh well, one more source to check, then to the junkyard.

Thank you

Dave

Yeah you can drive it without the cable.

cool, that is good to know, though I now have it down to about 5 min to pull the cluster and strip the cable out of the truck and vise versa...

One source left is a guy who runs a Jeeps only parts store that works on mostly 40's-80's Jeeps. Said he may have one that will work for me...

Cheers

DORMAN Part # 03269

Any store that has access to dorman parts can get this. I just bought 1 from Advance this week for an identically setup truck. ;)

87 and older is different from 89 and newer. Don't know which one of the two 88 uses. Trying to see the picture well enough and going from memory, the above part number is for the 87 (88?) and older ones.

The OP never stated what year his truck was.

DORMAN Part # 03269

87 and older is different from 89 and newer. Don't know which one of the two 88 uses. Trying to see the picture well enough and going from memory, the above part number is for the 87 (88?) and older ones.

The OP never stated what year his truck was.

I have an 88 and this is the correct cable as I need the clip type vs the bolt on.

Thank you

Dave