Bought new tires for my MJ......

Got Goodyear Wranglers for the front and Goodyear Wrangler Authorities for the years (my MJ is only 2wd)....the tires ride great but the Authorities do have a slight hum at highway speed. I bought 235/75-15's for the front with no clearance problems and 31x10.50-15's for the rear with no clearance problems unloaded. I did have to remove the fender flares and roll under the sheet metal ( can't tell once I re-installed the flares) because fully loaded with fire wood the fender skin was cutting into the outer most edges of the tread lugs.

haven't got stuck yet while in the mountains cutting firewood!

Good to hear you are running 235/75/15 on the front. I have stock 2 WD w/ 215/75/15 & need tires. Can I run that size all the way around?

I'm in Hawaii & just found a set of 235/75/15's for sale on CL. Also a set of 215/65/15's...???

This is my first post. I got my truck a year ago. Traded a nice 10' surfboard for the vehicle. Still not sure who got the better deal...

if you have stock rims, up to 30" tires can be run with no rubbing and 31s can be run with minimal rubbing (usually just on the lower control arms and that can be fixed with WJ arms from the junkyard). if you have aftermarket rims, then the rules change slightly (eg: 31s will rub on the edges of the flares when turning).

don't forget that bigger tires will make your truck feel a bit more sluggish and will change your speedo readings (which can be fixed by swapping in the right speedo gear).

Good to hear you are running 235/75/15 on the front. I have stock 2 WD w/ 215/75/15 & need tires. Can I run that size all the way around?

I'm in Hawaii & just found a set of 235/75/15's for sale on CL. Also a set of 215/65/15's...???

This is my first post. I got my truck a year ago. Traded a nice 10' surfboard for the vehicle. Still not sure who got the better deal...

I run 235/75/15's and didnt think I had any problems until I was on a slightly unlevel surface in a parking lot last year. Then it rubbed a little in front. It was the first and last time it happened and that took 2 years to happen. I did some light 4wheeling with no rub at all. In fact, I forgot about it until I read this post. Here are some photos of 235/75/15s all around. It had 225's on it when new.

http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=21903 I have no plans to do anything about it. That is how big of a problem it is.

My MJ is 2WD, 1 WD is really a more accurate description :roll:

Really want to be sure about changing from 215 to 235...

2WD is a little lower than a 4WD, yeah?

What is the Rim Width of stock rims for 2 WD?

Mine says tire sizes it can take:

195/75/15, 205/75/15 or 215/75/15

I just don't want a 235/75/15 to peel off while I'm cruising on the highway...

215/75R15

Section Width: 8.46 in 215 mm

Rim Diameter: 15 in 381 mm

Rim Width Range: 5.5 - 7.5 in

Overall Diameter: 27.69 in 703.32 mm

Sidewall Height: 6.34 in 161.03 mm

Radius: 13.84 in 351.53 mm

Circumference: 86.99 in 2209.5 mm

Revs per Mile: 751.1

235/75R15

Section Width: 9.25 in 235 mm

Rim Diameter: 15 in 381 mm

Rim Width Range: 6 - 8.5 in

Overall Diameter: 28.87 in 733.29 mm

Sidewall Height: 6.93 in 176.02 mm

Radius: 14.43 in 366.52 mm

Circumference: 90.69 in 2303.5 mm

Revs per Mile: 720.4

I won't worry about difference in speedo just now, but good to know I can re-gear it.

Mahalo for the info, comments & inspiration. I just found a couple of 2.5 L MJ's for sale:

'89 4WD 4spd w/ a spare engine & trans :brows:

On another island

'88 Pioneer w/ looks like clean body but not 4 WD

On my island

I think I caught the MJ bug! :yes:

OK, good to know. My rims aren't aluminum, they're steel. Tires are old. One developed a big egg while I was driving w/ a load down Haleakala Highway. I'm sure it would have been one of those unwrapped, piles of tread on the roadside if I hadn't pulled over & changed to spare!

Mahalo!

You will be fine using a 235/75/15 on a 7 or a 8 inch wheel. I have run them on mulitple stock xjs and MJs!

Why did you get 2 different tread for tires? Why didnt run the authoritys all around? Even tho you are 2wd, the front tires also grib the road and also help out in off camber situations!?

Here's a few pics from tonight before sunset....

DSCI0279-vi.jpg

...this is the front 235/75-15 GoodYear Wranglers...about $160 a pair at Walmart

DSCI0282-vi.jpg

...and this is on the rear...31x10.50 - 15's GoodYear Wrangle Authority from Walmart, about $170 each

DSCI0280-vi.jpg

...you can see a hint of the cut/scrape where the inner fender lip got into the edge of the tires lugs when the truck was extremely weighed down with firewood...

DSCI0281-vi.jpg

....I haevn't had any problems or rubs (loaded or unloaded) on the front and I fixed the rear rub that only occured under extremely heavy loading by rolling the metal inner fender lip under with a vicegrip.