vented oil cap?

Hey all,

A while back I did the plastic to metal valve cover swap on my 90 swb, 2.5L. Ive noticed that Ive got some seepage out the bottom of the gasket on the manifold side....not a huge worry since I'm keeping an eye on it, and its not pouring out (I think its the crappy rubber/cork gasket (felpro) that I got from Napa.

What does concern me, is...It is leaking out the oil filler cap. When I installed the valve cover, I made sure the vacuum ports to the throttle body and the air box were clear, and they are. Is there a vented oil cap available, or do I just need a new seal on the current cap?

-Erin

p.s.- Anyone have a better gasket option for the valve cover? (ie, all rubber?)

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Catal ... ecType%3aA)

That should solve your gasket issue. The above link is for an '87, but it's all the same gasket. Molded rubber goodness. :thumbsup:

As for the "Vented Oil Filler Cap", I've never heard of such a thing personally. :dunno: When oil is seeping out from the filler cap, it usually means you have blowby somewhere. My only reccomendation for that is heading to the JY to find a newer style cap that fits on the aluminum valve cover. Sometimes it's just a bad cap (as was the case with my friend's 93 XJ) the only other advice I can reccomend is...

Check the PVC lines and Air Inlet hose + filter again?

Have you used any additives to the crankcase that clear out "gunk"? Small particles could have gotten into the lines and clogged them up. Also, if you DO have blowby, then you'll see it in the form of oil deposits (spots) on your air filter in the inlet box. If none of those are the culprit, then maybe someone else can chime in with what the issue could be.. :dunno:

Napa's website appears to be having issues...I'll try again later, I have a feeling its exactly what I'm looking for. I have not used any additives in the crankcase. I will try to find a new (new to me) cap. The gasket on the cap also looks questionable. I'll pick up the new gasket and try to find a new cap. I had slight blowby on the air filter, but the previous owner had been struggling with a leaking plastic valve cover. I have not checked recently for it. Thanks!

-E.

EDIT: My valve cover is off a 94 wrangler, which has little "crush" spacers built into the cover. (its aluminum) So, I'm not sure the 87 vcg will work?!?

I use Permetex Ultra Black on both sides of cork gaskets. I make sure the bolt threads are clean and coated with the UB so they set. Just snug the bolts till the UB begins to ooze, let set. If both your mating surfaces are clean you shouldn't have a problem with seepage for a long long time.

I will not pay the $40 for rubber and I don't trust it anyway.

go and order the proper fel-pro rubber gasket for a 91 and up valve cover. that 87 one will NOT work on the alloy valve cover. use RTV ultra black on the valve cover side only, and clean the crap out of the head side. makes it reusable, and seals perfectly...and comes off with the valve cover.

as far as the oil cap goes, buy a new cap. it will solve your problem.

when I went to napa, the guy didn't have a clue. Told me the only gasket they stock is the cork/rubber combo. (its crap) What about one from the dealer? I know they are out there, I just can't find the rubber only one.

-E.

Edit: Anyone have a part number/manufacterer for the 2.5 rubber gasket?