Windows?

What is the best way to get your window trim changed and to make your windows roll up and down easier? It's almost impossible when it is cold. I'm just wondering what some may have doneand how much it may cost and the techniques to do it. I am wanting to get them all fixed up and tint them. Thanks!

One thing Ive found that works good is something called DRY LUBE... it is a graphite based lube that is non staining and non greasy. Be careful though, the last one I did, I was rolling the window up and down and a spark from the motor or switch or whatever ignited the propellant mixture inside the door and about blew the door panel off of it. Suprised the crap out of me as I was sitting there right next to it. Nothing broke though, except for my pants being singed.

• 3 weeks later...
One thing Ive found that works good is something called DRY LUBE... it is a graphite based lube that is non staining and non greasy. Be careful though, the last one I did, I was rolling the window up and down and a spark from the motor or switch or whatever ignited the propellant mixture inside the door and about blew the door panel off of it. Suprised the crap out of me as I was sitting there right next to it. Nothing broke though, except for my pants being singed.

Dry Lube is good for shielded cables. That's what it's made for. I use it for the hood release cable on the MJ, and for all the cables on the bikes. It's not the best lube for a sliding piece of glass through a felt channel. IF the channels are in good shape, dry powdered graphite powder, as used in lock cylinders, applied to the channels works best. With tinted windows especially because it's completely non-gumming. But the MJ window glass channels are not usually in good shape on our junk. Finding a stock replacement channel or substitute like Pete did is the best option. Especially if you have power windows. :cheers:

this really happened? i got a good laugh.

Pull the door panel off and then put the window crank back on halfway. Roll the window down a ways and then spray some lube (wd-40, pb-blaster, kroil, etc) down the sides where the window rides in the track. Next, dig around in the bottom of the door and find a flexible metal sheath that's got one end open and just laying in the bottom. Pull this up and hold onto it, spray lube inside it and fill it completely until it starts pouring out in your hand... then roll the window up and down a bunch. This will get the lube inside the whole assembly.

Enjoy easier to roll down and up windows. This works for power windows too.