Pics of My Exo cage so far (new pics on the link)

Dachir, expense is a relative term. Last trail ride a Crozet, I didn't run a couple of trails cause of near rolls I made just getting to the obstacle. Needless to say I got scared, so I decided to step it up a notch. I think from now on the first Mod I am going to do on any rig I wheel will be a roll cage. I also plan on try it out :twisted: at least a flop or an endo :shock: :D

87Manche,

We are going to tie it in right at the level of the top of the door bars. More then likely we are coing to bob the bed, and change the wheel base to about 115" maybe a touch shorter (currently I am at 122"):shock: Cut the fram rails off right in front of the front spring hangers and go from there. The plans are to run some 36" travel rear shocks as well :shock: :D :twisted:

Ohio,

The suspension is pretty basic. SOA in the rear, with ALcan custom 2" lift rear springs, with Full size Chevy drop shackles.

Up front is Terra flex long arms, with re super flex uppers, re hd trac bar and mount, with some Rusty's 6.5 coils. I guess you can check out my webshots page and see how my rig has changed, there are some pics of the installs, and the parts I used.

http://community.webshots.com/user/cj7xjmj

Patrick

Last trail ride a Crozet, I didn't run a couple of trails cause of near rolls I made just getting to the obstacle. Needless to say I got scared, so I decided to step it up a notch.

Patrick

:shock:

You better build a seperate cage around the passenger seat if I ride shotgun with you LOL...

j/k, looks nice. I might take a ride up there this weekend and check that place out.

Jeff

The place we go is private wheeling and you have to pay to go. Pretty insane for the money. I think there next ride up there is in Febuary, and it is a benifit run for a kid with cancer. I think it is the second w/e. I am hoping to have my junk ready by then.

Patrick

Last trail ride a Crozet, I didn't run a couple of trails cause of near rolls I made just getting to the obstacle. Needless to say I got scared, so I decided to step it up a notch.

If stepping it up a notch means seriously raising your center of gravity which in turn increases the likelihood you'll roll on those same obstacles, you've accomplished that :shock:

How important is it to protect sheetmetal that's already banged up, at the expense of being more top-heavy?

Bounty Hunter, We thought about that in the design phase about my higher center. The reason the bars are out side, is cause it would have been harder to fab the main pieces out of 1 continous piece of steel. The B hoop is all one piece. Also it really only raised it a couple of inches cause, the bars are huggin the body.

Once we chop the rear half of the frame off, we also plan on lowerering the rear a few inches, cause w/o the wieght of the bed, IT has all ready sprung up 3+" since I pulled the bed off.

BTW it is going back up to the shop today to start phase 2 of the build. This will constitute cutting the frame off right behind the rear cab mount, and building a new rear frame ut of tubing. We also plan on shortening the wheel base down to around 110". We will also be adding some upgraded safety features in this part of the build. They will include PRP suspension seats, 5 point harnesses, and a fuel cell. I should me trail ready in a couple more weeks, so testing will start again in Febuary. Maybe the build will change after its first outing.

Patrick

I just figured I would pass this on as well, Full width D60's will be going under it as soon as I can come up with the coin to do gears and lockers in both axles. I just came across a deal for a HP60, and a full floating one as well :twisted: Damn this build is getting expensive :shock:

There was a lot of planning done when building this exo. Exo cages are far from the best way to protect passengers, but everything is a comprimise. Either have an ugly thing outside, or have a nice cage inside that you always hit your head on.

As for the COG thing, that came in almost immediately. IF it wasnt for the fact that I want to run 38"s in the future we would have lowered the fron more as well. That still might happen as soon as we put the d60's under there and see how mock flexing does.

Patrick

I have yet to notice any binding from my Long arms. I will say I had more travel when I was running Drop brackets, but I also had less ground clearance. We willl be redesigning my front suspension after all the cage work is done.

Patrick