Fan Temp Sensor ?

I have a chance to get a new 2 row radiator from a 94 XJ. If I swap out my original 88 closed system radiator with it, I'll need to relocate or change the electric fan temp sensor that presently is in the radiator to a new location as the new radiator doesn't have a bung for it.

I've read thru numerous posts on here and other forums but I can't locate an actual part number for a sensor that I can either 1. put in a later model thermostat housing or 2. inline in the lower radiator hose and then wire into my existing 2 wire connector. Could someone who's done this pass along this info to help me out..?

Thanks.

I found a Jeep in the JY with dealer installed air conditioning. The was a metal T in the lower radiator hose that had a fan sensor in it.

Thanks cruiser54..yes that part would work (part number 83505113) but it's no longer available. The original 88 fan temp sensor is too large for the inline hose adapters I've seen (Jegs, Summit, etc) so I either need a used inline unit like the one you saw or find a smaller sized sending unit to fit the later model XJ thermo housing plug spot or the inline hose adapters that support 1/8" up to to 3/8NPT sizes. All leads/assist helpful..Thanks again..

I just stumbled upon that in the JY. I'll bet a good parts guy at Napa or a fleet supply house could find you a sensor with two terminals that would thread into the thermostat housing and that would close the contacts at the proper temp. Big trucks used that stuff.

The difference is Sensor, sender and switch.

You can't use a sensor as a switch or a switch as a sender. AFAIK there is a similar "switch" that fits a 88-92 Corvette that will fit into a 92+ Jeep thermostat bung. Like this:

I just wired in a switch to the e-fan...I like having the control and not wondering when the fan will come on. The switch on the left is the e-fan, the right is just for driving lights.

The e-fan also cools the tranny cooler when needed, that's why I like having the switch because sometimes the tranny is hot and the engine isn't.

I found a Jeep in the JY with dealer installed air conditioning. The was a metal T in the lower radiator hose that had a fan sensor in it.

Thanks cruiser54..yes that part would work (part number 83505113) but it's no longer available. The original 88 fan temp sensor is too large for the inline hose adapters I've seen (Jegs, Summit, etc) so I either need a used inline unit like the one you saw or find a smaller sized sending unit to fit the later model XJ thermo housing plug spot or the inline hose adapters that support 1/8" up to to 3/8NPT sizes. All leads/assist helpful..Thanks again..

inlinetempsensor.jpg

http://www.alumrad.com/fans.htm

AFAIK there is a similar "switch" that fits a 88-92 Corvette that will fit into a 92+ Jeep thermostat bung. Like this:

Thanks for the info on the Corvette "Switch"..If it will fit into the thermo housing, it may also fit into an inline hose adapter similar to the one Hornbrod shows in his response and are also available thru several sources.

I'll inquire on both suggestions and update the post. If I can't match it up, I'll use the switch in dash option.

FWIW, everything I've read regarding the Corvette fan switch in the thermostat housing is that everyone who tried it had problems with the fan coming on too late, like around 225*-230* or higher. The thermostat housing is a poor place to locate a coolant sensor/switch for fan control. The best monitoring point is the radiator return line.

I don't mean to beat it to death but I can't emphasize enough between sensor...sender...switch. For this application you want the switch.

A sender and/or sensor will not work (I tried several scenarios). If you go to A/Z, O'Reilly's etc. most counter jockeys will not know the difference.

FWIW, everything I've read regarding the Corvette fan switch in the thermostat housing is that everyone who tried it had problems with the fan coming on too late, like around 225*-230* or higher. The thermostat housing is a poor place to locate a coolant sensor/switch for fan control. The best monitoring point is the radiator return line.

Thanks for the heads up on that. I would prefer to have it in the radiator return line plus the wiring to connect it is right there nearby. If I can't connect/work out how to do it there, I may either resort to 1. having a bung installed in the new radiator or 2. use the switch option.

And ParadiseMJ..I agree with you and appreciate your emphasis on using the correct terminology/terms. Usually it saves tons of time and wasted effort. Thanks again...

would this work. How do i get a picture on here of this product

Speed 3101 Fan Control Thermostatic Kit & 50 Amp Relay

Brand: SPEED UNLIMITED

Our Part Number: S003101

Manufacturer's

Part Number: 3101

UPC: 830017009419

Condition: New

I don't mean to beat it to death but I can't emphasize enough between sensor...sender...switch. For this application you want the switch.

A sender and/or sensor will not work (I tried several scenarios). If you go to A/Z, O'Reilly's etc. most counter jockeys will not know the difference.

If you are referring to my post "The thermostat housing is a poor place to locate a coolant sensor/switch for fan control" that's exactly what I meant. The HOs use a sensor (or thermistor sender) in the stat housing for the ECU signal and the OP was referring to a temp switch in the stat housing for fan control. So I meant both in this context. :D

No, I was not referring to your post. What you said was right on the money. Whether the switch is located on the t-stat or a hose T I was just emphasizing the fact that it has to be a thermal "switch" and not a sensor or sender. Thus the corvette reference...it's the right size and performs the right function. Whether it comes on at 218 or 225, I dunno. Just repeating a reference I had read when asking about converting my XJ to an open system.