What was stock on 89 Metric Ton (Thinking of buying)

So I have found a 89 4X4 4.0L stock Metric Ton with D44 and the upgraded leaf springs and tires/rims. that I am thinking of buying, He bought it new, it has 230,000KM imaculate condition. Origional paint with mint decals and clear coat. Interior is great as well, no rust.

The thing is that he says he thinks it has a mitsubishi engine or engine parts but it is a straight 6, and a a forign transmission... I said a Peugot tranny and he said ya that sounds right, I'm thinking its the BA-10. Its a 4 speed manual tranny though and I thought the BA-10 was 5 speed. I am unsure of the transfer case, I think NP231 though.

Doe's anyone know what would have come stock? Does the Mitsubishi parts make any sense? I'm hoping to get it for 4500 but I'm not sure what I;m getting into. Any input would appreciated.

The starter was made by Mitsubishi. At 230,000 miles he must have replaced the starter at least twice, so he may have seen a label on one of them.

There was never a 4-speed manual transmission behind the 4.0L 6-cylinder engine. That engine was introduced in 1987 in the Cherokee and Comanche, and the manual transmission was the Peugeot BA10/5. It is a 5-speed. Mid-year in the 1989 model year Jeep switched to the Aisin-Seiki AX-15, which is also a 5-speed. If the truck you are looking at appears to have a 4-speed, it might be a BA10/5 with 5th gear blown.