Few "new bed" questons

ok so i got my bed and i was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on what i should put on the bottom of it to protect it from our pa salt.

i don't want it to rust.

my plans are to do the herculiner, overlapping onto the bed, like the bed is now on my truck in the pic below

i don't really have much that needs to be painted, just the sides of the bed and the tailgate, which is also herculined on the top.

I'm going to do the wheel wells also, so do i use the same stuff that I'm gonna use for the bottom?

i also got damage to one of my flares, see pic below

the other one is mint....this one got a puncture wound

so, is there a way to fix this, or can i just find a matching one easily?

i know theres some crazy flares out there i can buy but i think there all too big.

i like the og's....

ok, thanks for any help anyone has for me.

Paul

Depends on how much $$ you want to spend. Either por 15, rust bullet, or just some undercoating(roll or spray).

Undercoating is probably the WORST thing you could put on it. Herculiner would be good, or get some professional-grade rustproofing (which is NOT the same thing as "undercoating") and use that. JC Whitney has (or did have) true rustproofing in aerosol cans as well as professional kits with bulk material and spray wands. The pro kits will require an air compressor.

I don't have any experience with "rust belt" rust, but I'd prefer something smooth that would hose off easily as opposed to something like rubberized undercoating or Herculiner. Seems it holds on to dirt and water (and salt). Smooth like POR-15 or ??.

Its all rust because i havent kept up on it

Sanding, painting, etc.

Its the bottom of the doors, the bed, and one rocker panel thats effed up

Usually i gotta fix it every couple months

The po welded sheet metal patches on it n they suk

Thats y i got a bed now

What doors do i need? Is it from a 2 or 4 door cherokee?

4 door doors. 2 doors are to long.

like i said though POR should be covered up with something after its applied. also theres a spray on bedliner from walmart thats "okay". it might even be a herculiner product. the cost of doing your truck with it though might not be good.

well i mean the bed is not even on the truck, a roller (or brush for tight spots) wouldnt be a bad way to do it. probably cheaper too. i used a roller to apply my POR under/on the rockers and cab. it wasnt bad at all and i was laying under it doing it.

well i mean the bed is not even on the truck, a roller (or brush for tight spots) wouldnt be a bad way to do it. probably cheaper too. i used a roller to apply my POR under/on the rockers and cab. it wasnt bad at all and i was laying under it doing it.

oh, ok...

there is some factory stuff on there now, and it looks good but I'm not sure what it is.

ill get some por 15 and do it.

will it work on my frame also?

what else should i do while my bed is off. beside the planned brake, fuel line change, and general cleaning.....oh ya, and the rear shocks

You have to do A LOT of prep work to make POR15 work. DO NOT apply it over any other painted surface. It will ONLY adhere to treated rust or to cleaned and etched metal. Nothing else. POR15 will work on the frame rails, but they must be 100% clean. Read through my '92 build to see what I mean. My old school body shop guy discouraged me from using any sort of rubberized under coating on the outside of the truck, even OVER a properly applied POR15 treatment. POR15 must be top coated since it is not UV resistant and will fade/turn chalky. Any spray paint would work as a top coat.

It is not the under side of the bed that needs treated, it is that shelf formed by the top of the inner wheel well. Not much room to work in there, but if you can clean it and treat it you will be in good shape.