whats your thoughts on the GMC canyon/chevy colorado?

boardmanMJ

i need to start looking for a new vehicle since my DD XJ is starting to go downhill pretty fast (hate ot say it but its true) i would love to get another MJ but it would most likely be a winter truck as soon as my other project is finished and id hate to ruin a perfectly good MJ with the salty winters we have here in the rust belt. if i can get my asking price on all three vehicles i have for sale i should have enought for a decent looking and reliable vehicle. i would like to have another truck thats 4wd but i don't need to gas mileage/horsepower of a fullsize truck. so i found this this colorado thats priced pretty fairly and it seems to be everything that i want. id hate to stray away from a jeep but i absolutly hate the look of the KJ and the WJs are too overpriced around here. atleast if the salt gets to the colorado i wouldnt fell too bad about it since they are pretty popular. but this is what i found:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?c ... dard=false

Josh

i never really did any research on the colorado/canyon yet, i just liked the look of them. as far a reliability, that doesnt seem to be a very reliable truck in that case (especially the 05 model year as catastrophic engine failure was a big problem) i think my dad would kill me if i came home with a foreign truck....

Josh

i never really did any research on the colorado/canyon yet, i just liked the look of them. as far a reliability, that doesnt seem to be a very reliable truck in that case (especially the 05 model year as catastrophic engine failure was a big problem) i think my dad would kill me if i came home with a foreign truck....

Josh

Josh,

That is the great thing about Nissan Frontiers, they are built right here in the USA by the good folks of Smryna Tennessee.

the more i play around on the msn autos page i find that the frontier is the only truck that doesnt seem to have any problems with it. my dad was trying to talk me into a ranger but the reliability of the 4wd system scares me. does the frontier have electronic engagement or is it manual like the MJ/XJ?

Josh

I bought a new Canyon in '05 for the crew cab and overall looks of the truck. I soon had trouble with it stalling on deceleration and/or turns and also felt it was underpowered when accelerating onto the freeways. That was the inline 5cyl motor. I sold it within a year. In '08 they came out with a 5.3 V8 (LH8) engine and I have not heard whether or not if this set-up had any issues.

the more i play around on the msn autos page i find that the frontier is the only truck that doesnt seem to have any problems with it. my dad was trying to talk me into a ranger but the reliability of the 4wd system scares me. does the frontier have electronic engagement or is it manual like the MJ/XJ?

Josh

It is electric, and doesn't have the old feel of our MJ's, but I did a lot of research before I bought my MJ and the Frontier was a close second for me.

I'd really like a newer truck with plenty of goodies and features like the frontier, but ive been searching CL for Comanches everyday. if I end up selling my DD XJ I think I found an MJ that would be a nice addition to my collection. I'll post a link to the ad soon so I can get everyone's input on it.

Josh

Glad to hear you are wanting to stay Jeep!

But, if that does not happen I have one word of advice. Stay away from the Ranger. I drive a 2010 model 2wd 4cyl for work everyday, 25k miles a year. It is smaller than the MJ and the cab is very uncomfortable. Nothing is easy to reach and it burns through light bulbs every month. It is beyond slow, runs rough and the auto tranny sucks big time. The heater does work.... I have always liked the Tacoma for a new compact truck but have never taken one for a spin.