Transfer Case "CLUNK!!!"... now looking for part numbers

Just making sure I'm looking in the right direction...

Under my '88 Pioneer, there is a distinctive clunk when the truck is in 4wd and going in reverse. The noise sounds like it's right under the cab and there is all kinds of slop in the front driveshaft. I would assume that the chain in my transfer case took a crap. I don't know how many miles are actually on the truck as the speedo didn't work when I got it. Right now it says just a shade under 200k. The only reason I'm doubting myself is because I only hear it when in reverse and the driveshaft slop is with it connected to the front axle.

So, my question is how much play should I have in my front driveshaft with it connected and how much play should I have in the differential in my front axle? Thanks dudes!

Sounds like a u-joint.

All the u-joints look tight without any play at the caps. Joints at the hubs look good too. That was the first thing I checked. The clunk sound also happens with a somewhat violent feel in the floor as well.

Could be a cracked transmission mount allowin the trans or exhaust crossover to slap the body when you hit it in reverse. Could be a broken engine mount too.

I kept breakin engine mounts until I bought the MORE bombproof ones. Stock rubber junk bites.

Sounds like a u-joint.

All the u-joints look tight without any play at the caps. Joints at the hubs look good too. That was the first thing I checked. The clunk sound also happens with a somewhat violent feel in the floor as well.

The ones on my blazer looked/felt fine then one of the ears snapped off of it. Luckily, it got wedged against the yoke and the drive shaft didnt hit the ground and bounce up thru my gas tank. Mine was the rear joint and it started only clunking in reverse. You can remove the front shaft and see if it still happens. You can put it in 4wd and do the same with the rear shaft out, just make sure you tape a cup on the output shaft or all the fluid will leak out of your transfer case.

I thought about pulling the whole transfer case down then I thought, "Hey, if the chain is trash then I could probably just leave the front half of the case on the tranny and just pull off enough to get to the chain". Sure enough... I pulled off the back half of the case and chain has already worn off plenty of the case and even a large hole in the oil pickup tube filter. :shake:

I found all the part numbers except for the screen filter at the end of the oil pickup tube. This thingy:

418984_205263709572500_100002666186219_360814_459281018_n.jpg

I found it on Quadratec, but I need this thing by yesterday. They've got a "manufacturer's part number" but Napa can't cross reference it. Anyone know?

Thanks... still looking for it locally so I can put this back together as soon as I can. The problem isn't that they aren't available. I know that they are, but I'd rather not leave the truck down longer than I need to. I might've found one at an Oreilly. Need to go see it to be sure.

junkyard?

Thought about that too. These things really don't need to be replaced all too often anyhow. A used part would probably be just as good... have to dig inside another transfer case, but just as good. :wrench: