port throttle body on a renix?

ive heard of doin this on dodges.basicly you just take a dremmel or a mill or anythign else and mill out a bigger hole above your butterfly valve whic gives more air and in tern more power.or so its said.. :dunno: i was wondering if anyone has tried this on a renix 4.0? is it possible? outcome? thanks yall!

TB spacers would only function on a TBI injection system, or a carb'd system. they do absolutely zero on a MPFI system.

as far as boring the renix TB, IIRC there is still a taper to them, and opening up the taper on the bottom side below the butterfly plate will gain you quite a bit of incoming air, *possibly* netting you some overall gains with that crappy designed intake manifold.

TB spacers would only function on a TBI injection system, or a carb'd system. they do absolutely zero on a MPFI system.

as far as boring the renix TB, IIRC there is still a taper to them, and opening up the taper on the bottom side below the butterfly plate will gain you quite a bit of incoming air, *possibly* netting you some overall gains with that crappy designed intake manifold.

I've done it both ways. The net gain with having a TB done with a new butterfly versus just opening up the body is about 4 times better.

I diy bored the TB on my 00 xj, it already had an afe intake all i got from doing it was a venturi whistle through my intake. Its not so easily achievable on a renix but doing a 97+ intake mani swap with an intake will definately help get more air into the engine. Just like ricers though it doesnt really add any notable horsepower.

I diy bored the TB on my 00 xj, it already had an afe intake all i got from doing it was a venturi whistle through my intake. Its not so easily achievable on a renix but doing a 97+ intake mani swap with an intake will definately help get more air into the engine. Just like ricers though it doesnt really add any notable horsepower.

actually...opening up the TB gets rid of the venturi effect. stops bottlenecking the air.

Renix has a 52mm TB on a 60mm manifold hole. Changing to a bored out body with the bigger butterfly definitely makes a difference.

Forgot to mention - HESCO makes a little adapter part to allow Renix-injected Jeeps to use the later HO intake as a whole unit. Their part adapts the Renix TPS to the HO throttle body, so you could swap an entire salvage-yard HO intake onto your engine and use their TPS adapter, and you can even use a bored HO throttle body. You'd have to also use a HO throttle cable from the salvage yard, and should probably also swap the HO valvecover, since it has a mount to hold the throttle cable. Its pretty expensive for the little adapter piece, but the parts from the salvage yard should be cheap, and the upgrade could be worth some pretty decent power. Here's the link to the part - http://www.hesco.us/shop.asp?action=details&inventoryID=45563&catId=

If I weren't selling my MJ, I'd probably do this swap. I already bought their TPS adapter years ago, then never got around to getting the HO intake(& throttle cable & valvecover), so now the little adapter part is hopelessly lost in a box of spare parts somewhere in my shop. If I find it, and can't get my MJ sold(I'm probably askin too much for it - no interest in it AT ALL), I'll guess I'll have to do some salvage yard hopping to find the necessary parts.

In my above post, the link to HESCO's adapter part has the price in it. Its expensive for what it is, but that's usual for them. It is a fully-machined part, so that's the reason for the expense.

Also forgot to mention, if you were to do this full-HO intake swap, you'll have to plug the EGR port in the exhaust manifold, since the (later)HO intake doesn't have a provision for an EGR . . The intake from an pre-93 HO might have a place you could locate a EGR into, but I'm pretty sure there's no EGR on the HO intakes.

Anyone had the fuel line mount on an HO intake off to see if you could use the flat there for an EGR? I know the late equal-length runner intake has no place for one at all.

So, there's a possible EGR issue if you try to swap in an HO intake manifold. Guess you just plug the exhaust manifold EGR port or use an HO exhaust manifold, and do away with the EGR, and hope it doesn't effect emissions inspection.

Question is, can you run the Renix fuel system with an HO intake, without the EGR, and not do any harm to the engine? I dunno.