CAD questions.

I'm sure this has been covered before, But this weekend I plan on getting some new shafts for my d30 from a newer cherokee for the upgraded U joints. My axle now is a cad unit, from my understanding I need a seal for the shaft. Where does this seal go and where can I pick one up at?

Thanks guys

Remove disconnect system, wheels, brake calipers and rotors, unit bearings and axle shafts on both sides except passenger inner shaft.

Remove diff cover, remove tension pin holding center shaft (tap it out using a properly sized rod (like a drill bit)), Slide center shaft back to where the flat spot allows the inner shaft to move inwards. Remove axle shaft C clip, and axle shaft. Reinstall center shaft and lock in place with a new tension pin (available from most hardware store for a dime or less).

Remove carrier bearing caps and carrier.

Tap seal into passenger side tube.

(Now is a good time to replace the driver side seal as well)

Put everything back, except with your new shafts.

(This is from memory, I hope I got it all right).

I have heard stories of some housings that were not machined for a seal on the passenger side in CAD axles. Seems to be a crap shoot as to whether or not it would be. Most people that make this mod don't seem to have a problem. Maybe it's just a YJ thing...

My housing wasn't machined for the seal, I had the axle out on stands to do it . I stuck an air hose in from the left side and used a flat ended burr on a die grinder to hog it out to fit. I think I only had to take out about an 1/8" all the way around, put a little silicone sealer around the seal, and drive it in. You need to drive the old seal out thats right by the old CAD flange also.

i used the recommended napa seal and i just lightly scuffed the outside of the seal and used some right stuff sealant on it and no leaks so far.i removed all of the vacuum hoses and crap associated with it.i do think i lost a gallon or so mpg but i don't drive but about 6-7k miles a year to work so mpg wasn't my deciding factor but a consistent 4 wheel drive when it snows.