Support bracket access?

Trying to get the bracket off in red. The bolts in blue have 15mm nuts on the back, that are, as far as I can tell, completely inaccessible. Any ideas on how to get to them?

I need to get access to behind it for the last bolt for the hitch, and as far as I can tell, this is the only frame rail access there is.

It's -so- close!

I assume there is no obvious hole to access the nuts? Box section of the frame?

Cut off the end of a box wrench and weld to the side of the wrench handle to reach 'in behind' if you will.

or

Drill 7/8 holes in the backside of the frame to allow for a socket (or what ever diameter the socket is)

or

Grind off the heads of the bolts and fish the remnants (nut with bolt) out with a telescoping magnet.

Just skinnin fish.

BTW-

Had the smart guy who somehow installed the nuts you can't' get too had..........

Next time use very very fine hobby wire......thread like wire........and wrap it around the end of the threaded end of the bolt and fish the bolt into the box of the frame through the holes of the frame and plate. Use lock nut on the bolt at head. Now you buzz on the nut with an impact........the bolt will NOT turn and you will have set and torqued that union without having to get to the head with a wrench or socket. Also had he done that you could have done the reverse and hit the nut with an impact and then fished out the bolt.

Grinding the heads hadnt occurred to me. Good idea, thanks. The problem is the steering box is bolted right behind it, precluding almost all access. And since this is a 2.5 it has that bizarro crossmember, which is boxed and bracketed in all the worst place.

Edit: I actually have fishing wires to do just that, as they came with as part of the install. Problem is, there aren't any holes in the frame big enough to get the damn bolt into, except for the one behind the immovable bracket! :ack:

I got it. Sawzalled a 1"x1" chunk out of the top of the crossmember above the steering box just enough to get a universal joint and socket on the top nut. Then took a prybar and rotated the whole bracket left using the other bolt as a pivot point, exposing the access. Quite a bit less professional than I would like, but it worked. Front hitch is on!

Take the bumper bracket / tow hook mounts off and their is a access hole behind it. A wrench will fit into the hole and hold the nut, loosen/tighten the bolt itself.

I know there is supposed to be a hole directly behind the bumper brackets, but the only hole in the frame on mine was -way- up behind the tow hook brackets farthest screw. And that one was too small to get the square washer in for the cap head bolt.

Jeepman, I must just be lucky with the 86. :dunce:

Nope It looks like I was the lucky one as I just looked up the parts sheet and it shows a Nut so I was just lucky in the two I have which someone must of made a plate with nuts welded on...

Sorry for the mis info...

After looking at My Project MJ here , you should have no trouble getting to the nuts once the bumper is off...

Good luck