D44 rear axle vent question

Hmmm. I cross the p/n from the 86-89 manual (J3187999) for the D44 and get this:

12521-3187999A.jpg

The one that's in there now is plastic, pressed in. Don't know if it's original or not.

Checked again. The metal threaded one is the old design. It was superseded by this plastic one: 11611-J3187999B.JPG

I think I'll get the metal one. Gotta seal a lot better than the plastic POS. :D

Definitely use the metal one , when I installed the d44 in my manch I swiped the breather bolt off of a 80s ford as it is a hollow bolt that also holds down the brake line , it's a much cleaner way to go I think . It isn't a direct bolt on but dosnt take much to make work.

I had the same problem when I swapped my stock '91 D35 for an '88 D44, the breather was different (though thread vs press seems inconsistent; maybe it's related to MT vs AT?). I had to secure the brake splitter with zip ties as a temporary solution. I ended up tapping the breather hole on my D44 to fit the threaded breather/brake bolt. Seemed like the right decision, just hope I got all the metal shavings from tapping out.

I had the same problem when I swapped my stock '91 D35 for an '88 D44, the breather was different (though thread vs press seems inconsistent; maybe it's related to MT vs AT?). I had to secure the brake splitter with zip ties as a temporary solution. I ended up tapping the breather hole on my D44 to fit the threaded breather/brake bolt. Seemed like the right decision, just hope I got all the metal shavings from tapping out.

Thanks jeepcoma. Do you happen to remember what tap size you used? I'm guessing 1/8 NPT? :cheers:

Thanks jeepcoma. Do you happen to remember what tap size you used? I'm guessing 1/8 NPT? :cheers:

I don't recall, but I'll check my taps when I get home. I used a new kit so it'll be the only one with grease on it so I should be able to tell. During the process, I stuffed the hole with grease and cut very slowly, backing the tap out often to clean shards off and re-greasing. When finished, scoop all the grease out and hopefully any filings left come out with it. Keep greasing and cleaning it out until it's clean.

If that's the same threaded vent from an 8.25, the bit size is 25/64" and the tap is 7/16x20

(swapped one of them bad Larry's onto the D44 I am running :D )

I shortened the end of it up a bit with a grinder to prevent contact with the axleshaft:

Image Not Found

View from inside the tube:

Image Not Found

Installed:

Image Not Found