Mystery Coolant Loss ??-SOLVED

Found coolant overflow tank empty :eek: and rad low as well . No visible leakage or trace , checked oil dipstick for "milkshake" , and ccv tubes , and air box breather inlet as well . I obviously topped up the coolant and added a new rad cap as well . Been running engine and checking for leaks every 10-15 min. , so far , Nada ! Also searched the area under the heater as well . :dunno: ( 90 , 2.5- 4 popper ) The weather here has been below freezing (minus 5-12 C ) for the last 2 weeks , haven't noticed difference in heat gauge readings other than being slower getting to operating temp. for obvious reasons .

:headpop: Mystery solved ,sort of , I now have a visible leak ! Coolant now dripping from rad core . The plastic push-thru fasteners for my flex-o-lite aux. fan have worn through one of the rad tubes . I did fab up support brackets for the fan housing (top) so the weight was off the core but also used the thru-rad fasteners as well . Seems a bolt from the bracket went AWOL . :wall: The new cap I just installed (13lb) created enough extra pressure to lead me to the source....Oh joy , I guess the fix is going to easier then tearing off the cyl. head at least . ...I think it's "Miller time" :thumbsup: , off to the pub I go image_209027.gif

I would definitely find an alternate way to mount the aux fan besides the push-though fasteners. It doesn't take much rubbing on the tin foil radiator core to wear through it. Can't you put in a regulation 10-blade aux fan from a 97+ XJ? It'll probably pull as much if not more air through than the Flexolite and will bolt in and last forever.

I used a fan from a WJ, and adapted it to a couple of 2.8 fan shrouds I had layong around. I epoxied it all together and bolted the shroud/fan assy up as if it were stock, then wired it up with a fan controller. Has been working great for quite a while now. This way there has never been an issue with rad damage.

:agree:

I would definitely find an alternate way to mount the aux fan besides the push-though fasteners. It doesn't take much rubbing on the tin foil radiator core to wear through it. Can't you put in a regulation 10-blade aux fan from a 97+ XJ? It'll probably pull as much if not more air through than the Flexolite and will bolt in and last forever.

I recall the saying " A short-cut is the longest way to anywhere " . I'm going to keep the current set-up as it has worked well for me BUT this time no thru-fasteners . I can easily fab up top & bottom brackets bolted to the header supports ( with lock-tite this time ). My punishment for m m ing it the first time , is to do it in the pouring rain forecast for tomorrow ( cruel , but fair ) as I have no garage . :thwak:

:wrench: Tried the tarp , but the wind just blew the rain straight at me . Got the new rad swapped in then gave the engine a shampoo as it was soaking wet already .Ran the motor for almost an hour then burped the last of the trapped air at the heat sensor . No leaks ,we're good to go :thumbsup: