Engine swaps questions

Has anyone ever swappe in a 5.0L Mustang motor into a MJ? The 4.0L is roughly 515lbs, and the 5.0L is around 450, more power, more torque, etc. I know that lots of people have swapped in Chevy engines into the XJ / Mj's but I've not seen any 5.0's. My 89 Mustang's body is getting weak, but the engine and trans are in great shape, and the engine's had work done to it. I'm contemplating making my MJ into a pre-runner/JEEPSPEED style build, and I'm starting with a 2wd. Just putting out a feeler...

BTW, I'm also running a 8.8" rear, and I have a 355 chevy sitting in the shop I could use also. I'm not really planning on doing the swap soon, but I plan to run a few RallyX and Rally races with it, and the old 4.0 isn't gonna cut it forever...

I've been searching for a few days, and haven't really come up with anything. Novak makes adapters to swap it into full size Jeep cherokees and yj/tj's, but nothing for the MJ/XJ. Hoping to find someone who has done the swap at least. I'm not scared of doing some fab work, but if it's going to be a ton of work, I'll throw the 350 in it.

can't help with any info on that swap, but from reading about other swaps I think you are going to have allot of problems trying to keep the engine cool. Allot of guys have problems just trying to keep their strokers from over heating.

I have a 89 xj waggy with a 93 Z28 LT1, and trans. Aluminum heads, reverse flow cooling. All stock. 160 degree t stat. Two electric fans, the stock aux one and another to replace the stock engine driven one on the 4.0. Second fan runs full time. Stock aux fan comes on at 210, cools it back down to 180.

Up until a couple months ago it used a stock replacement radiator, two row. Cooled pretty much ok. The plastic tank split, so I replaced it with a Champion fully aluminum two row. Everything else remained the same.

Now the aux fan rarely comes on, temp stays around 180 most of the time, even in around town traffic, as long as moving some.

I do have a aux tranny cooler, plumbed with the one in the radiator, and a trans temp guage, had this before.

I had been thinking of venting the hood, there is not much room around the engine for air flow, but don't think it is needed now.

And I do have working a/c.

Here is an answer to the Northstar v8 question

The transverse-mounted architecture is a nightmare to overcome. For starters, the log-style oil pan can't be chopped into a rear-sump design. Then, the intake manifold must be turned 180-degrees on the engine and the water pump manifold and water pump removed from the rear of the engine and replaced with an electric water pump for firewall clearance.

(JP Magazine wrote that in their top 10 dumbest engine swaps article)

• 1 month later...

If you really wanted to do the Northstar swap (or one of the other Caddy engines) then I'd get the AX-15 bell from a Dakota with AMC 2.5 in it along with the other stuff. Don't know about the flywheel though.