rear diff. problem, possibly?

OK SO MY TRUCK IS MAKING A WEIRD ALMOST RATCHETING NOISE WHEN I PULL OFF A STOP WITH MY FOOT IN IT :yes: (I'm NOT SCARED OF THE SKINNY PEDAL) AND GOES AWAY AND THEN WHEN I SHIFT INTO SECOND IT DOES IT FOR LIKE ONE OR TWO CLICKS AND GOES AWAY :hmm: . SADLY ANOUGH HAVE NO CLUE WHAT IS GOING ON. I WAS WONDERING IF SOME OF THESE TRUCKS MAY HAVE COME WITH A FACTORY LIMITED SLIP AND MAYBE THAT IS GOING BAD OR MY TRANNY IS ABOUT TO BLOW... MY TRUCK IS A 89 4CYL 4SPD 2WD, don't KNOW EXACTLY WHAT TRANS OR REAR END I HAVE THOUGH..IF YOU GUYS KNOW HOW TO READ VIN CODES MY VIN IS 1JTHS6412JT251359 . THEY WAY IT SOUNDS ITS GOTTA BE SOMETHING SPINNING. MY EXHAUST ISNT TOUCHING ANYTHING AND IVE CHECKED ALL MY BUSHING IN MY FRONT END TO SEE IF SOMETHING IS CONTACTING UP FRONT AND NOTHING.. GONNA CHECK MY DIFF. NEXT, THE COVER LEAKS ANYWAYS

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

A broken ring gear tooth sounds like that.

A bad trans mount can put the driveshaft in a weird position, and make some funny noises too.

Even with a good trans mount, a bad U-joint also sounds like this.

First thing I would do is check the rear axle fluid,

if there's glitter in it (chunks of metal), start looking for another rear axle.

And the U-joints.

I would say the trans itself could be making the noise,

but if first gear were that bad (ratchet noise under power)

it would most likely be popping out of gear on acceleration.

FWIW, You probably have a D35 rear & AX4 trans (assuming you mean 4spd std trans, and not 4spd auto).

Most 4cyl's have 4.10's,

but with a 4spd std trans,

it should be 3.55's:

-DEFINATLEY GONNA CHECK THE AXLE

-ALL MOUNTS ARE IN "OK" SHAPE NOT TORN BUT OLD, THOSE ARE GETTIN REPLACED ASAP

-U JOINTS ARE GOOD

-?? IF IT WHERE A RING GEAR WOULDNT I FEEL MY TRUCK ALMOST SKIP A BEAT WHEN IT HIT THE MISSING TOOTH???

A broken ring gear tooth sounds like that.

A bad trans mount can put the driveshaft in a weird position, and make some funny noises too.

Even with a good trans mount, a bad U-joint also sounds like this.

First thing I would do is check the rear axle fluid,

if there's glitter in it (chunks of metal), start looking for another rear axle.

And the U-joints.

I would say the trans itself could be making the noise,

but if first gear were that bad (ratchet noise under power)

it would most likely be popping out of gear on acceleration.

FWIW, You probably have a D35 rear & AX4 trans (assuming you mean 4spd std trans, and not 4spd auto).

Most 4cyl's have 4.10's,

but with a 4spd std trans,

it should be 3.55's:

-

-?? IF IT WHERE A RING GEAR WOULDNT I FEEL MY TRUCK ALMOST SKIP A BEAT WHEN IT HIT THE MISSING TOOTH???

Mine would go click-click-click-click-click-click when under power.

I popped the cover, and there was 2-3 missing teeth off the ring gear (3.73 D35).

It was fine, other than the clicks, and the reflective-shiny diff fluid.

I probably could have swapped the fluid, and run it a little longer,

but I had another spare 85' 3.73 rear D35 tucked away at the time.

make sure your exhaust isn't contacting the trans crossmember.

From the latest description I'm starting to think this now too.

Tempo is everything with drive train 'raps'

Does the tempo increase follow engine speed, or vehicle speed?

Or is it steady, or random?

For a sound that only happens under load;

If it decreases tempo/pace with the 1-2 shift,

I'd look to the engine trans side of things.

If it keeps increasing pace with speed, I'd think the back half of trans, driveshaft, or rear axle.

If it seems random (but louder under load)

bad motormount or trans mount making your exhaust, or other contact something it shouldn't.

A real easy one would be fan hitting the shroud under load.

Just BE CAREFUL trying to find/diagnose this,

I'd hate to see you drive into a pole the 15th time you nailed the gas through 1st gear, with your head hanging out the window. :eek:

A friend standing/listening outside the Jeep can be helpful too.

make sure your exhaust isn't contacting the trans crossmember.

I was going to suggest that last night.......at the risk of sounding foolish.

Mine did the same when my trans mount collapsed but I knew exactly what it was. I don't know that I would have described it as ratcheting but......

I would think that he would sense some other symptoms under load or not in other driving conditions if bad ring gear or other. First gear in the tranny may be something but I would think he'd feel it at the shifter........if it was in the drive line......gear, tranny, rear, ?, there would be more to it.

What about when down shifting?

As Pete suggested look at your trans mount, look at your exhaust, if the exhaust is even remotely close to the cross member.....1/4 to 3/8.......the ratcheting sound may be the exhaust tapping the cross member under load as the engine/trans is torqued.

it happens under load in first gear but not when down shifting. its not my exhaust, its not even close to touching. and its not my fan, changed that out to an eletric one. havent really noticed it at all in any other gear. its not something just taping on the cross member its in a perfect spaced out rythem like teeth on a gear hitting. :headpop:

COULD YOU FEEL IT YOUR FLOOR?? ITS LIKE A POPING RATCHETING LIKE A $#!& LOCKER OR BAD LIMITED SLIP SOUND BUT I CAN FEEL IT ON MY FEET ON BOTH DRIVER AND PASSENGER SIDE?

I would feel that too. I always can feel anything than my co worker does in mechanic shop.