Even if you dont like them...take a second.

87'ComancheLaredo

Hi everyone,

Just a quick background, I have a Ball Python, and reptiles (esp. snakes and pythons) are hopefully soon to be my career and hobby. Even if you don't like snakes or anything, I'm asking that you take a few seconds and sign this petition to help fight the ban on pythons. This is something that I and many others are very passionte about, and were asking for some help.

http://united-states-association-of-reptile-keepers.rallycongress.com/5799/no-on-fws-python-rule-bad-american-small-business-families-alread/?m=2659448

Thanks for reading, and thank you very much if you decide to sign!

-Jamie

Some reptile keepers (if you want to call them that, the irreponsible ones) have the larger species of snakes imported. Something happens ie. the snake gets larger than they thought, so they let it go in the wild. They are breeding in the wild. This is causing the natural species to have to compete with them for food, habitat etc. But its the bad keepers, and the bad breeders that give everyone and the snakes a bad name.

Signed, but someone needs to say that a very stringent background check will be necessary for the larger breeds.

people have these and they end up killing their kids, as well. it's definitely the keeper who is the main problem. but, simply put...these snakes will eat anything they think they can fit in their body.

people have these and they end up killing their kids, as well. it's definitely the keeper who is the main problem. but, simply put...these snakes will eat anything they think they can fit in their body.

Really? I've never heard of that happening. But it's rare for anyone around here to have large snakes. Most people might have a little rubber boa, and that's about it.

With animals in general, it's the keeper that is the potential issue. Lots of breeds of dogs get a bad rap, and while some of it may be because of instinct that is not bread out, most of it is because they were improperly trained/handled/socialized.

Why do they want to ban them?

A hurricane down in Florida a few years ago also destroyed a couple of buildings that were used for breeding and scattered hundreds of boas and rock pythons all over. The buildings were on the edge of the everglades which is a perfect habitat.

Signed and sent.

I hate these laws. Where I live I cannot own a Pitbull. I had one before and it was very protective of my family members but was not mean/vicious at all.

I started and ran a reptile rescue down in Florida a few years ago before moving to Ohio. We (along with other rescues) have been fighting this fight for a while. From my experience it's irresponisble owners and their lack of knowledge causing the problems.

There's a lot that goes into owning any exotic pet and it shouldn't be taken lightly. We took on hundreds of reptiles because the owners "didn't realize how big they would get". Or they didn't realize that snakes bite :wall: ....I swear we had hundreds of those owners too.

Pythons and other repitles are wild animals. Period. I completely agree that you should have to take some sort of a test and get a license to keep one, but they shouldn't be banned. When cared for properly they can make good pets, especially the smaller varieties.

Signed and shared.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank You to everyone who signed and sent these, along with your replies.

Signed, but someone needs to say that a very stringent background check will be necessary for the larger breeds.

I agree that there needs to be a better system in place for the larger snakes, seeing as people normally don't know what they're getting themselves into. Alot of the time I find that this also has alot to do with misinformation at the time they are buying the animal. I don't personally think that they "eat anything they think they can fit" they're not made to do that, yes they are opportunistic hunters but they arent going to gorge themselves.

Thank you for your support :)

Really? I've never heard of that happening. But it's rare for anyone around here to have large snakes. Most people might have a little rubber boa, and that's about it.

With animals in general, it's the keeper that is the potential issue. Lots of breeds of dogs get a bad rap, and while some of it may be because of instinct that is not bread out, most of it is because they were improperly trained/handled/socialized.

Yeah, people don't seem to realize that you have the potential for an injury from ANY animal.

yeah, boa killed some little girl down in florida this past year, parents didn't put anything heavy on an inadequate top for the snakes cage, it got out and squeezed her to death while she was sleeping.

^^^ Yes, this is a specific case that had made national news. This is an example of what happens when you have a large snake, that hasnt eaten in over a month (the "meal" before that being another 2 months before) and you do not have it properly secured. These parents had a 15ft python, in a WAY to small enclosure, with a quilt on top. really? That animal weighs at least 60lbs. and they just put a quilt on top? with a young child living there? This was a terrible tragedy that could have easily been prevented.

A hurricane down in Florida a few years ago also destroyed a couple of buildings that were used for breeding and scattered hundreds of boas and rock pythons all over. The buildings were on the edge of the everglades which is a perfect habitat.

Signed and sent.

I hate these laws. Where I live I cannot own a Pitbull. I had one before and it was very protective of my family members but was not mean/vicious at all.

Yeah, some laws like this make absolutly no sense what so ever. If there is one incident, people jump all over it. the hurricane that swept away the building was obviously something that would be much harder to prevent as we cannot control the weather. sometimes s*** just happens and we have to pick up the peices and move on, no one made a big deal about that zoo that almost all of the animals got out and now there are monkeys living and breeding there. ( I forget where this was exactly)

I started and ran a reptile rescue down in Florida a few years ago before moving to Ohio. We (along with other rescues) have been fighting this fight for a while. From my experience it's irresponisble owners and their lack of knowledge causing the problems.

There's a lot that goes into owning any exotic pet and it shouldn't be taken lightly. We took on hundreds of reptiles because the owners "didn't realize how big they would get". Or they didn't realize that snakes bite :wall: ....I swear we had hundreds of those owners too.

Pythons and other repitles are wild animals. Period. I completely agree that you should have to take some sort of a test and get a license to keep one, but they shouldn't be banned. When cared for properly they can make good pets, especially the smaller varieties.

Signed and shared.

Exactly. Thank You.

Signed and emails sent.

Thanks!!

My Little Girl Sandy thanks all of you too :)